Primary With Pe Specialsim PGCE
2018/19 New Entrants, Full Time
|Stoke-on-Trent Campus||Full-time||2018/19 Academic Year||Apply via UCAS|
This course is designed to allow graduates to train at postgraduate level and develop the skills to become a physical education school teacher.
You will leave this Teacher Training course with a PGCE qualification. This can be awarded at 3 levels dependent upon performance during the training year, either 30 (Professional) or 60 or 90 (Postgraduate) level 7 credits, in addition to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), the required qualification to teach in England.
The course aims to develop your professional competencies in the creation and delivery of programmes in primary education with an additional focus on the provision of Physical Education, and to develop the wider professional knowledge and skills expected of a qualified teacher.
This is a 36 week course. The equivalent of 24 weeks (120 days) is spent in 2 carefully selected placement schools and 12 weeks in the university.
The PGCE at Staffordshire University offers specialist support and expertise from tutors who are at the forefront of developments in primary education. It is characterised by small class sizes allowing effective links with the schools in our partnership.
Our course puts learning at the heart of what we do. This means that your learning, as the Associate Teacher, is at the centre of the PGCE just as, when you are teaching, the learning of your school students must be at the centre of your work.
The course is distinctive because it involves a mix of university input and school experience every week of the course, close attention to your individual needs and a genuine sense of partnership with the schools that we work with.
Staffordshire University has achieved Good OFSTED ratings across all stages of our Teaching Training.
- To apply for the course you will need a minimum 2:2 honours degree in an appropriate subject.
- Mathematics, English and Science GCSE grade C qualifications.
- A good general education.
- QTS tests in Numeracy and Literacy must be passed before commencement of the course. Ideally these should be taken either before interview or within 6 weeks of an offer.
- You will be required to successfully complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application and be certified fit to teach.
- You must be ICT literate.
- We recommend you submit a well considered personal statement on the UCAS application form as this is a key part of the short listing process.
- Some experience of working with primary age students in a school setting would be beneficial preparation for interview.
This PGCE course gives you Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), the required qualification to teach in schools in England.
On completing your Teacher Training course (PGCE) you are qualified to teach in schools in England. On starting your first teaching job, you can join our Masters in Education course and be in a position of completing your Masters in Education by the end of your second year of teaching.
Have you also considered?
Cadman Information Point
t: +44(0)1782 294400
Enquire about this course