Job Title and Responsibilities
Academic Development Manager
• Manages the University’s Academic Planning Process
• Takes primary responsibility for designated areas within academic development and works to support academic colleagues in the overall development of the service, developing policies procedures and providing guidance on quality assurance
• Project management - responsible for operationalising, delivering and evaluating key learning and teaching interventions
• Coordinates and contributes to academic staff development sessions
• ADU Equality and Diversity Coordinator
• ADU Health and Safety Coordinator
About MeI joined Staffordshire University in January 2002 and have had a number of different roles within the University; all linked to enabling staff to further support their students. This is my third career, having spent a significant number of years working in the banking industry, as a Building Society Manager; Financial Planning Consultant and Commercial Relationship Manager. Before that I held a number of senior management and training posts within the hotel and leisure industry.
My current University role involves working with senior management and the academic community in developing responses and academic staff initiatives to the Academic Strategy; in order to fulfil the commitments in the University Plan. I am a recently qualified Management Coach and currently studying for my PRINCE2 Practitioners Exam.
Qualifications• Master of Business Administration with Distinction, Staffordshire University
• ILM Level 5 Coaching and Mentoring in Management, Staffordshire University
• Diploma Health and Social Welfare Studies, Newcastle College
• Finance Industry FPC Qualifications levels 1-3
• Craft Trainer Qualification
Professional MembershipAssociation of University Administrators Fellow
Institute of Leadership and Management
Expertise• HE policy and planning
• Training and Coaching
• Student Experience
• Project Management
• Quantitative and Qualitative Research
My research interests include student/ customer experience, particularly the impact of academic initiatives on the student experience and engagement. Throughout my time with the University, I have been involved in numerous research projects:
• Poster presentation on the student guidance provided for students with protected characteristics
• Sophisticated statistical analysis of student surveys, including the involvement in an Ipsos Mori project on the National Student Survey
• As part of ongoing research, a ‘one off’ student experience research project about the overall student satisfaction rating in the National Student Survey was included in the Researching the Community II 15 credit module for BA (Hons ) Sociology
More recently, I am involved in the pilot programme Advanced Coaching Skills for Personal Tutors and the delivery of a workshop session about this at the UK Advice and Practice Conference 2017.
I hope to continue to evaluate the impact of this programme on student engagement with personal tutor sessions and ultimately the student experience.
ContactPaulette A Morgan
Academic Development Manager
Academic Development Unit
Mellor Building Room S110