Professor of Renewable Energy Technology
Member of Centre for Energy Efficient Systems
I am the author of several text books in my area of expertise, Thermo-fluids for energy and power, and currently working on a new title.
Graduated from UMIST 1983 with a PhD in Computational fluid dynamics of water waves, upon graduation I worked on the improvement of gas turbine cooling for Rolls Royce, and in 1985 I joined Staffordshire University as Senior lecturer, progressed to a reader, and a professor. I have lectured and researched extensively in the area of thermo-fluids and renewable energy and power generation.
- BSc Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Computational Thermo-Fluid Mechanics
- PhD Renewable Energy – Wave Powe
Professional MembershipsChartered Engineer
- Thermo-fluids and renewable energy and power generation
Working with the Media
Areas specialised in:
Renewable energy and in particular Bioenergy
Previous Media Experience:
- Advisor to BBC radio Stoke / Radio interview on the subject of Biodiesel, a few years ago
- Advisor to BBC radio Wiltshire / Radio interview on the subject of Biomass power plant application, this year
Enterprise and Commercial Activity
I have carried out a large number of consultancy projects in my area of expertise.
Energy Audit, author of a popular text book, and experience in energy audit for buildings, over 100 energy audits conducted on a variety of public and private buildings of all sorts.
Recent/Current Research grants:
ERDF Grant: ARBOR (Accelerating Renewable Energies through
Valorisation of Biogenic Organic Raw Material). € 7,361,958
Period: Start date: 25-09-2009 - End date: 31-03-2015
Collaboration: 13 European partners, and several observers.
TEMPUS – Clean Energy and Research in Environmental Studies (CERES) valued at 1.0 M€; Period: Oct 2011-Oct. 2014. Partnership with Universities/authorities from Spain, Bulgaria and Egypt.
Renewable Energy technology, partnership with Egyptian, Spanish and Bulgarian universities, on a combined master’s degree.
My current research interest is renewable energy, and in particular Biomass to energy, as I am the director and work package leader of ARBOR which is a European funded project comprising 13 partners from North West Europe.
I also act as a reviewer for the international journal of thermal engineering, and others from time to time, and have acted as external examiners to many MPhil and PhD submissions throughout the UK and overseas.
Recent Publications some available online
A guide to the design and installation of plastic pipeline systems
a. Co-authors: Mr Mike Greig, EFFAST (UK) Ltd; ISBN: 189-789-8819.(2000).
Design of a 20kW Biomass Heat Generator: CFD Modelling and Dissociation, S. Oberweis and T.T. Al-Shemmeri, VDM Verlag, ISBN-13: 978-3639159226. (2008)
Instrumentation and Measurements: Basic Principles Worked Examples and Tutorial Problems and Laboratory Exercises, T.T. Al-Shemmeri, VDM Verlag, ISBN-13: 978-3639206425. (2009).
Wind Turbines – T.T. Al-Shemmeri, published by Bookboon.com (Ventus Publishing ApS), ISBN 978-87-7681-692-6. (2010).
Engineering Thermodynamics – T.T. Al-Shemmeri, published by Bookboon.com (Ventus Publishing ApS), ISBN 978-87-7681-670-4,(2011)
Engineering Thermodynamics Solutions Manual – T.T. Al-Shemmeri, published by Bookboon.com (Ventus Publishing ApS), ISBN 978-87-403-0267-7. (2012).
Energy Audits: A Workbook for Energy Management in Buildings – T.T. Al-Shemmeri, published by Wiley; ASIN: B005HF2HB8.(2011).
Small and micro combined heat and power (CHP) system, chapter in a book, published by Woodhead Publishing; ISBN:978 1 84569 795 2.(2011).
Engineering Fluid Mechanics – T.T. Al-Shemmeri, published by Bookboon.com (Ventus Publishing ApS), ISBN: 978-87-403-0114-4.(2012).
Engineering Fluid Mechanics Solutions Manual – T.T. Al-Shemmeri, published by Bookboon.com (Ventus Publishing ApS), ISBN: 978-87-403-0263-9. (2012).
Journal Papers (2000 – to – date)
- Y.D.Wang, T.Al-Shemmeri, P. Eames, J. McMullan, N. Hewitt, Y.Huang & S. Rezvani. “An experimental investigation of the performance of gaseous exhaust emissions of a diesel engine using blends of vegetable oil”
Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, Elsevier, vol.26, 2006, pp1684-1691.
- L Lin, Y Wang, T Al-Shemmeri, S Zeng, J Huang, Y He, X Huang, S Li, J Yang
“Characteristics of a diffusion absorption refrigerator driven by the waste heat from engine exhaust “; Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E: Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering. Volume 220, Number 3 / 2006, pp139-149.
- Y.D. Wang, T. Al-Shemmeri, P. Eames, J. McMullan, N. Hewitt, Y. Huang and S. Rezvani. ”An experimental investigation of the performance and gaseous exhaust emissions of a diesel engine using blends of a vegetable oil “
Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 26, Issues 14-15, October 2006, Pages 1684-1691
- Lin Lin, Yaodong Wang, Tarik Al-Shemmeri, Tom Ruxton, Stuart Turner, Shengchuo Zeng, Jincheng Huang, Yunxin He and Xiaodong Huang
“An experimental investigation of a household size trigeneration”
Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 27, Issues 2-3, February 2007, Pages 576-585
- Al-Shemmeri TT, Oberweis S. “Correlation of the NOx emission and exhaust gas temperature for biodiesel”, Applied Thermal Engineering 31, pp.1682-1688, 2011
- Oberweis S, Al-Shemmeri TT. “Emissions and Performance of a Stationary Diesel Engine run on Biodiesel Blends”, International Journal of Oil, Gas and Coal Technology, vol. 4. No.4, 2011, 375-386.
- Hooper, P.R., Al-Shemmeri, T and Goodwin, M.J. – "Advanced modern low emission two-stroke cycle engines” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering. Vol. 225 No.11, November 2011.
- Hooper, P.R., Al-Shemmeri, T and Goodwin, M.J. (2012) – "An experimental and analytical investigation of a multi-fuel stepped piston engine” Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, volume 48, pp.32-40, 2012.
- Oberweis S, Al-Shemmeri TT. “Performance Evaluation of a Lithium-Chloride Absorption Refrigeration and an Assessment of Its Suitability for Biomass
Waste Heat”, Appl. Sci. 2012, 2, 709-725; ISSN 2076-3417.
Conference Papers (2000 – to – date)
- Al-Shemmeri, T., Wang, Y.D., NOx emission reduction from diesel engines
using the Miller Cycle, International Conference Proceedings (ENSUS 2000) on Marine Science and Technology for Environmental Sustainability, September, 2000, ISBN 0701700939.
- Al-Shemmeri, T., Wang, Y.D., Engine Exhaust heat utilisation. A Diesel
Generator-set based Trigeneration, International Conference Proceedings (ENSUS 2002) on Marine Science and Technology for Environmental Sustainability, December 2002.
- Al-Shemmeri, T., Wang, Y.D., A Computational model of Ammonia-water
Absorption Refrigeration System, International Conference on Cryogenics & Refrigeration, Hangzhou, China, April 2003.
- Al-Shemmeri, T., Wang, Y.D., Theoretical Investigation and Parametric
Study of a Diffusion Absorption Refrigeration System, 2003 International Congress of Refrigeration, Washington, DC — 17-22 August 2003.
- Wang, Y.D., Al-Shemmeri, T., A Theoretical and an Experimental
Investigation of A Small Scale Trigeneration System, — A comparison between Trigeneration and separate generation systems, Internal Combustion Engine Division of ASME and the Rail Transportation Division of ASME, 2003 Fall Technical Conference, Erie, Pennsylvania, USA, September 7th – 10th, 2003.
- Al-Shemmeri, T. and Pace, S.; CCGT Modelling as Tool for Condition Monitoring. International Conference Proceedings on Condition Monitoring in the Power Industry, September, 2003, London.
- Al-Shemmeri, T; Quality assurance and Standards for Biodiesel.
Invited Paper. International Biofuels Conference, Warsaw, Poland, 12-16 September 2005.
- Al-Shemmeri, T. and Pritchard, D; New development in Biomass Power Generation and Heat Recovery Technology.
Trends in the development of machinery and associated technology, 9th International Conference, Antalya, Turkey, 26-30 Sept. 2005, ISBN 9958-617-28-5.
- Al-Shemmeri, T; A computational Model for Aqua-ammonia absorption Refrigeration system. International Conference on Computer applications, Athens, Greece 20-23 June 2006.
- Al-Shemmeri, T. and Pritchard, D; Development of a low carbon Biomass Cogeneration System. 5th International Conference of Scientific research, Fez, Morocco, 26-30 October. 2008.
- Effect of Biodiesel blending on emissions and efficiency in a non road diesel engine, conference paper at ICREPQ’10, ISSN 2172-038X, 22-25th March 2010, Granada (Spain).
- Oberweis S, Al-Shemmeri TT. “Effect of Biodiesel Blending on Emissions and Efficiency in a Stationary Diesel Engine”, Conference Proceedings ICREPQ’10, ISSN 2172-038X, 22-25 March 2010, Granada (Spain).
- Oberweis S, Al-Shemmeri TT. “Gamma-Stirling Engine – The Effect of Different Working Gases and Pressures”, Conference Proceedings ICREPQ’11, ISSN 2172-038X, 13-15 April, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain), 2011
- Oberweis S, Al-Shemmeri TT. “Performance and Emissions Evaluation of Absorption Refrigeration Cooling from Biomass Waste Heat. CIBSE Technical Symposium, De Montfort University, Leicester (UK), 6-7 September 2011.
My main teaching activities is in the area of Thermo-fluids and renewable energy and power generation. At present I teach the following modules on the Undergraduate and Postgraduate schemes:
- Measurements and design CE20010-4
- Energy management CE00108-6
- Energy Management studies CE200457-7
- Power Plants CE00050-6
ContactProfessor Tariq Al-Shemmeri
Professor of Renewable Energy Technology
School of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Sciences
The Mellor Building
t: +44 (0)1785 353335