Job Title and Responsibilities
Professor of Marketing and Head of Department – Staffordshire Business School
As Head of the Department, I am responsible for leadership, management and development of a large group of subject-based staff, both full and part-time at the Staffordshire Business School. This includes effective management and planning of department’s academic and research activities in contribution to school and university’s overall learning, teaching, pedagogic, research and enterprise objectives. Moreover, I provide academic leadership in strategic development and management of school’s postgraduate curriculum, apprenticeship programmes, and international student recruitment.
Programme development – since taking up this role in July 2017, I have successfully led development and validation of new UG & PG programmes in Business Management, Marketing Management, Accounting & Finance, Events Management and Esports subjects including number of Degree Apprenticeships.
In his previous roles, Prof Maheshwari held several academic leadership roles such as Director of Postgraduate programmes, MBA Programme Director and Senior Lecturer at various UK HE institutions. He has active affiliations with number of professional bodies such as Chartered Institute of Marketing, Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing, Academy of Marketing and British Academy of Management.
PhD (Marketing & Brand Management) – University of Liverpool
MA (Business Management) – University of Liverpool
B.Eng. (Civil Engineering) – Gujarat University, India
Fellow - Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), UK
Senior Fellow - Higher Education Academy (HEA)
Member – Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing (IDM)
Affiliate Member – Chartered Management Institute (CMI)
Chartered Marketer – Chartered Institute of Marketing (2012-2014)
Member - Academy of Marketing, UK
Member - Academy of Marketing Science, USA
Branding and Brand Management
Place Marketing and Branding
Measures of Esteem/External Engagements
British Council, UK – range of seminar presentations made about benefits of studying in the UK for International students in Hong Kong, China, Mauritius, Indonesia, Vietnam, India between 2013-2018 (currently active).
Visiting Professor – Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Accounting, Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil (since 2015).
Co-founding Track Chair – Place Marketing and Branding track at the Annual Academy of Marketing Conference (since 2014).
SIG Co-Chair – Place Marketing and Branding Special interest research group at the Academy of Marketing, UK (since 2016)
Invited Speaker - University of Sao Paulo, Brazil at the Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Accounting, Ribeirao Preto (2016) – ‘Building Brand Attributes: brand development and management’,
Guest Lecture - Rushmore Business School, Mauritius (2014) – ‘Delivering Brand Equity through Brand Enhancement’, this lecture was part of CPD events calendar for Mauritian Tertiary Education Board and Chambers of Commerce.
Guest Lecture - Symbiosis University, India (2014) Branding: a fascinating concept of Marketing,
Invited Speaker - North Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand (2013) Researching into Strategic Brand Management and Development.
Editorial board member:
Deputy Editor for Marketing, Strategy and Sustainability discipline areas - Journal of Global Responsibility
Editorial board member - International Journal of Organisational Analysis
- Nominated for Outstanding Postgraduate research supervisor award, University of Chester (2017)
- Nominated for Outstanding Academic student support award, University of Chester (2015)
- Nominated for Course Leader of the year (MBA Programme), Leeds Beckett
- Nominated for Inspiring Teacher of the year, Leeds Beckett University (2013)
- Emerald Literati Award for Outstanding paper, Emerald Publishing Ltd. (2012)
External Examiner and Advisor roles
I have held several external examiner roles, as listed below:
Senior Examiner – Chartered Institute of Marketing (Level 7) - Managing Business Growth - Chartered Marketing Leadership Programme
University of Northampton - Principal Examiner for MBA programme
Edge Hill University – Awards External Examiner (UG and PG)
University of Brighton - External Examiner for MSc programmes suite
Birmingham City University - External Examiner for Undergraduate Marketing subject area
University of East London - External Examiner for Marketing subject
Anglia Ruskin University - External Advisor for Marketing programmes
External Advisor – Validation panel Member - MBA and Senior Leader Apprenticeship programme
University of Huddersfield
Research grants & awards:
QR GCRS grant - £4,000; Sustaining Economic Growth Through Brand Development.
Newton Fund Institutional Links Grant - bid development in progress (bid unsuccessful) - £150k – joint collaborative project between Staffordshire University (Business School and School of Computing and Digital Technologies) and Acibadem University, Turkey) - Title of project – Digital abuse against young women in Turkey: Developing a prevention framework through interdisciplinary and multi-stakeholder research
Newton Funding, British Academy – institutional mobility grants – £7,000 – with colleagues at University of Sao Paulo, Brazil for developing collaborative research initiatives.
International Research Excellence Award – Santander Universities research grants scheme and University of Sao Paulo research funding (2015-16) – research project exploring Country Brand Image of Brazil and evaluating residents’ attitudes towards Olympics 2016 - £1,500
Learning & Teaching Grant – Internationalisation of HE – University of Chester (2016) - £2,000
European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) – part of project team delivering training for SMEs covering areas of strategic marketing development and planning including brand management across Yorkshire region (2012-2014) – total income - £1.5m circa.
Business Enhancement Scheme and small-scale consumer-behavior based research project for the retail institute – Leeds Library project for the Leeds City Council (2013/14) - £2,500.
Academy of Marketing Science doctoral scholarships – (2008 & 2009) - $1,800
Doctoral studies scholarship –fully funded PhD programme - (2006-2009) –£30,000 circa
Doctoral Supervision and Examinations
Doctoral student supervised to completion:
- Katrin Horn, (PhD completed 2015) An Emic Exploration of Consumer Experience Perception in Three Retail Formats: The Case of Japan (Principal Supervisor)
- Priya Gunesh, (PhD completed 2016) Employer branding and strategic talent relationship management in the Mauritian banking sector (Principal Supervisor)
- Fabiana Mariutti, (PhD completed 2016) Brazil’s Country Brand Image and Reputation (Principal Supervisor)
- Bhimsen Abacousnac, (PhD completed 2017) Impact of internal marketing on service quality in public hospitals in Mauritius (Principal Supervisor)
- Eyo Essien, (PhD completed 2017) Determinants of buying behaviour in the public sector in Nigeria (Secondary supervisor and advisor)
- Tim Brown, (PhD– viva completed successfully defended thesis – undertaking revisions) - An examination of charity event management processes which aid charities to be successful, financially sustainable and competitive (Principal Supervisor)
- Anna-Marie Christofi (PhD– viva completed successfully defended thesis – undertaking revisions) The food and drink industry in the participation of sustainable consumption (Secondary Supervisor)
- Tadzio Jodlowski (currently finalising draft thesis – pending submission August 2018) – Exploration into business schools’ responses towards UK government’s implementation of teaching excellence framework (TEF) - (Secondary supervisor)
Doctoral Student Examinations conducted:
- Shadi Abdulaziz Badawood, Impact of Smartphone media engagement on consumers’ response to advertising, University of Hull (June 2018) – PhD thesis
- Luxury Fashion Consumption as a mean of Identity Creation: A Study of Black African Female Consumer in London, University of East London, (December 2017) - PhD thesis
- Taofiq Raimi, Achieving customer satisfaction in private housing organisation in Nigeria, University of Liverpool, (2016) – DBA thesis
- Samorn Deesomlert, Examining Market Orientation, Service Orientation, Service Innovation and Business Performance of the Spa Business in Thailand, Leeds Beckett University, (2015) – DBA thesis
- Aling Lin, Cultural Governance as a marketing tool to promote city branding, Leeds Beckett University, (2014) – PhD thesis
Independent Chair - Doctoral viva voce:
- Bruce Darlington, Music in the spaces of 21st century, University of Chester, (2016) PhD thesis
- Mohammad Shan A Khuda, Modelling fear of crime area variations in England, Leeds Beckett University, (2015) PhD thesis
- Lucy Thomson, Gendering police work: A feminist analysis of ideal organizational identities under late capitalism, Leeds Beckett University, (2014) PhD thesis
Masters student supervision
I have advised upon and supervised 100+ MBA, MSc, MA dissertation and consultancy project students to successful completions
Peer-reviewed conference contributions & presentations:
Gunesh, P. and Maheshwari, V. (2018 – forthcoming, accepted for publication), Role of Organisational career websites for employer brand development, International Journal of Organisational Analysis
Maheshwari, V. and Fielding, J. (2018), Importance of ethics and sustainability in fashion industry, 21st Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress (AMS WMC) June 27 to June 29, 2018 at the University of Lusiada – Norte Porto, Porto, Portugal.
Maheshwari, V. Giraldi, J.M and Montanari, M. (under review) Investigating residents' attitudes of 2016 Olympic Games: examining socio-cultural, economic and environmental dimensions, Journal of Place Branding and Public Diplomacy
Maheshwari, V. and Gosnay, R. (2018 – Working paper), The evolution of internal marketing orientation construct
Lourenção, M., Giraldi, J.M. and Maheshwari, V. (forthcoming accepted for publication) Elements of sectoral brand identity: an analysis of similarities and differences in the Brazilian fashion sector, Research Journal of Textile and Apparel
Maheshwari, V., Dobson, P. and Lawrence, A. (2018) Social Media Marketing in Gbadamosi, A. (ed) (2018 – forthcoming textbook) Contemporary issues in Marketing. A Synthesis of Theory with Practice, Sage Publications.
Maheshwari, V., Gunesh, P., Lodorfos, G., and Konstantopoulou, A., (2017) Exploring HR practitioners' perspective on employer branding and its role in Organisational attractiveness and talent management, International Journal of Organisational Analysis, Vol. 25, No. 5.
Giraldi, J, Maheshwari, V and Mariutti, F. (2017) investigating the role of attitudes on Brazil's country brand image, International Journal of Business and Globalisation
Maheshwari, V., Sinnott, K. and Morris, B. (2017) Digital Marketing and Young Consumers, in Gbadamosi, A. (ed) (2018) Young Consumer Behaviour, Routledge publications (Taylor and Francis)
Maheshwari, V. Lodorfos, G. and Jacobsen, S. (2014) Determinants of brand loyalty: a study of the experience-commitment-loyalty constructs, International Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 13-24
Maheshwari, V. Lodorfos, G. and Vandewalle, I. (2014), Exploring the role of stakeholders in place branding, International Journal of Business and Globalisation, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 104-121.
Maheshwari, V. Lodorfos, G. and Jacobsen, S. (2014), investigating key determinants of brand loyalty: examination of brand commitment-experience-loyalty construct, presented at Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference 21-24 May 2014, Indianapolis, USA.
Maheshwari, V. Lodorfos, G. and Gunesh, P. (2013), Marketing an organisation: the emergence of employer branding phenomenon. British Academy of Management Annual Conference, Liverpool, 10-12 September 2013.
Maheshwari, V. Vandewalle, I. and Bamber, D. (2012) Place branding's role in Sustainable Development, Journal of Place Management and Development, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.198-213. (Emerald Literati Award, Outstanding Paper award category)
Maheshwari, V. and Williams, G. (2011) 'Why bother branding, is it really innovative?’. British Academy of Management Conference, Aston University Business School, Birmingham, 13-15 September 2011.
Maheshwari, V. and Vandewalle, I. (2010) Place Branding and the European Capital of Culture Branding Campaign, Union of European Capital of Cultures (UNeECC,Vol. 1) - ISSN 2068-2123, University of Sibiu Publishing Press.
Bamber, D., Maheshwari, V., Vandewalle, I. (2009) Place Pulling Power: a case of Liverpool’08, Institute for Tourism Studies, pp.51-61. ISBN 978-99937-51-32-8.
Maheshwari, V. (2009) Place brand management. Academy of Marketing Science's 'World Marketing Congress' conference, Oslo School of Management – Campus Kristiania, Oslo, Norway, 21-25 July 2009.
Maheshwari, V. and Vandewalle, I. (2009) Place branding - a different dimension to regeneration in the City of Liverpool. Academy of Marketing Annual Conference, Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, UK 7-9 July 2009.
Brown, J., Phillips, J.M., and Maheshwari, V. (2009) Consumption and Sacred Places and Spaces in Profane Contexts: a comparison between the UK and India, in Brie, S., Daggers, J. and Torevell, D. (eds) (2009) Sacred Space: interdisciplinary perspectives within contemporary contexts. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Maheshwari, V, Vandewalle, I. and Bamber, D. (2008) Place branding from a business perspective. 1st International Place Branding Conference, Berlin City Hall, Berlin, Germany, 4-6 December 2008.
Maheshwari, V. (2008) Sustaining Place Branding Identity: key construct for continual development of the region. In: Doctoral Colloquium of International Conference of Cultural Perspectives in Marketing, January 16-19, 2008, Royal Sonesta Hotel, New Orleans, USA.
Maheshwari, V., Vandewalle, I. and Bamber, D. (2007) Place branding and the Liverpool 08’ brand campaign in “City of Liverpool”, Thought Leaders’ international conference on Brand Management, 24th-25th April 2007, University of Birmingham, Birmingham.
Ad-hoc Journal Reviewer role:
- Journal of Product & Brand Management
- Journal of Place Management & Development
- Journal of Place Branding & Public Diplomacy
- European Journal of Marketing
- International Journal of Business Administration
International conference reviewer role:
- Academy of Marketing Science Annual conference
- Academy of Marketing Annual Conference
- European Marketing Academy Conference
- British Academy of Management Conference (including Doctorial Colloquium)
Additional academic & research contributions:
Book reviews: I regularly contribute as book reviewer, some of my key contributions so far:
Thomas, B. and Housden, M. (2017). Direct and Digital Marketing in practice, 3rd ed., Bloomsbury Publication plc.
Kolb, B. (2017) Marketing Research: reviewed proposal for 2nd edition, London: Sage Publication.
Keller, K.L. (2013) Strategic Brand Management: Building, Measuring and Managing Brand Equity, 4th ed., Harlow: Pearson Publications
Bradley, N. (2013) Marketing Research: Tools and Techniques, 3rd ed., Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Kapferer, J-N. (2012) The New Strategic Brand Management: Advanced Insights and Strategic Thinking, 5th ed., London: Kogan Page Publishers
Saldana, J. (2012) Coding Manual for Qualitative Researchers, 2nd ed., London: Sage Publications Ltd.
Rosenbaum- Elliot, R; Percy, L and Pervan, S. (2011), Strategic Brand Management, 2nd ed., Oxford: Oxford University Press
Prof Maheshwari has taught, led and managed a range of courses within Marketing and Management subject areas at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level involving UK, EU and International students. These include:
- Digital Marketing Strategy, Planning & Implementation
- International Marketing Management
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Research Methods
- Global Business Environment
- Management Consultancy Project/ Dissertation
- Strategic Brand Management
- Marketing Communications
- Marketing Research
- Strategic Management
ContactProfessor Vish Maheshwari
Head of Department and Professor of Marketing
Staffordshire Business School
Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 2DF
t: +44(0) 1782 294994