Care Leavers

The precise amount of funding you will receive each year will depend on your individual circumstances. Information about loans and non-repayable support can be found in:Funding and Financial Support.

Care Leaver's HE Bursary

Care Leavers starting University will receive a £2,000 Higher Education Bursary to help with the costs of University life. The bursary is available to any Care Leavers who started a course of higher education on or after September 2008 and before their 25th birthday.

The £2,000 bursary is a minimum amount which is over and above the money and support that local authorities already provide for Care Leavers. It must not be in place of any existing support.

Financial Support from Corporate Parents

The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 was introduced to improve the life chances of Care Leavers, and provided important new entitlements and extended the age range supported. In 2003, the Government published a Green Paper called Every Child Matters. This established the duty on local authorities to provide on-going support for Care Leavers until the age of 21 (or longer when the Young Person is in education or training). In addition, since April 2011, young people who have been closed to services can come back to their local authority and request assistance up until the age of 25 if they wish to pursue education or training.

The level of financial assistance to Care Leavers varies greatly from local authority to local authority. Your leaving care worker will be able to explain your local authority's policy on the financial support they will offer you if you want to go into higher education. This support is on top of the grants, bursaries and loans that are available to most students entering higher education.

As your student loan and grants are designed to support you over the academic year, Social Services have a duty to provide Care Leavers in full time higher education with accommodation over the summer vacation period (or the means to secure accommodation). This duty remains until the Care Leaver's 24th birthday.

When discussing your Pathway plan with your leaving care worker, it is advisable to make them aware of the costs you will face whilst at University. Along with the obvious expenses such as tuition fees, rent, food, books, it is important to highlight the hidden costs that you may face during Welcome Week and Graduation.

For further funding advice please visit the UCAS website. 

For further information, please contact your Leaving Care Worker.  Alternatively, if you have any queries regarding your eligibility, please contact the Students' Union Advice Centre:

T: 01782 294629