"My new manager said having that work experience and a name like Red Bull on my CV was the one thing that made me stand out from the rest. I'd definitely recommend doing a placement to anyone coming to university."
Jonathan Appleby, BSc (Hons) Computer Science
A Sandwich Placement provides student with a year's subject-related work experience within an organisation as part of their course.
Many recruiters give preference to applicants that have completed a placement, with up to 78% of vacancies with top employers filled by graduates who have already worked for them. And did you know - on average students who undertake a placement, begin their career on a higher starting salary!
What is a Sandwich Placement?
- 12 months work experience that is relevant to your course (Masters 6-12 months)
- 37 hours per week
- Usually taken between level 5 and 6 (undergraduate) or after semester 2 (Masters)
- Placements are supported by University staff and are assessed as part of your course
Positions are usually paid!
The advantages of a Sandwich Placement
- Opportunity for you to gain industry relevant experience
- Provide chance for you to try out a particular career path
- Give you a step ahead on the graduate career ladder
- Build your confidence and commercial acumen
- Provide ideas and insight for your final year project
- Help you to build contacts within the industry you want to work in
- Allow you to apply theory gained during your course into business context
For more information about placement opportunities please contact the placements team:
t: 01785 353460
Or drop in between 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday to see us at the Careers Network.
How to find us:
The Careers Network