Frequently Asked Questions

Enrolment FAQs

Answers to those questions we are most often asked by students

What is the website I have to visit to complete enrolment?

You complete online enrolment via your e:VisionStaffs portal.

My login isn't working

Your username is composed of two letters and six numbers, for example ax987654 or a012345x, though you can also use your 8-digit student reference number to log-in. Your username will have been issued to you upon application to your course.

Your password is your date of birth in the format DDMMYY.  For example, if your birthday was 1st March 1985, your password would be 010385.  Please ensure you are not entering the '19' in the year.

I have completed online enrolment but I can't find the enrolment certificate

Once you have completed online enrolment you can find the link to print/re-print your enrolment certificate in the 'On-line Enrolment' section of your e:VisionStaffs portal.

What is meant by Online and Face to Face enrolment?

Online enrolment is completed via the e:VisionStaffs portal. All Staffordshire University students must complete online enrolment.

Face to Face enrolment is for new students who are studying full time on-campus at the University.  At Face to Face enrolment we distribute ID cards and activate your student finance payments (e.g. your loan or grant).  In the 'My First Week' section of your e:VisionStaffs portal you will find links to timetables & activities for the Face to Face enrolment and your first week. Please remember to bring your online enrolment confirmation with you to Face to Face enrolment.

Students who are part time on-campus, studying at a UK partner college, or via Distance Learning do not need to do Face to Face enrolment.  Your college will distribute your ID cards and make arrangements for your student finance to be activated (if applicable). Part-time and Distance Learning students will have their student ID cards posted to their home address. 

Continuing students who have student loans do not need to attend Face to Face enrolment to have their student finance activated. As long as you have enrolled online, we will activate your finance payments in the first week of term. 

Since 2012/13 students have been issued with student ID cards that are valid for the expected duration of their studies. If you are a continuing student and your student ID card is still valid then you do not need a new student ID card. If you are continuing on your course but your student ID card has expired then please contact the Information Points.

Information Point (Cadman) 
Ground Floor Cadman Building
College Road, Stoke
t: +44 (0)1782 294573

Information Point (Brindley)  
Brindley Building
Leek Road, Stoke
t: +44 (0)1782 294751

Information Point (Centre of Excellence, Stafford) 
Blackheath Lane 
ST18 0AD
t: +44 (0)1785 353766

Information Point (Centre of Excellence, Shrewsbury)  
Shrewsbury (Royal Shrewsbury Hospital) 
Mytton Oak Road, Shrewsbury
t: +44 (0)1743 261136


What do I need to bring with me to Face to Face Enrolment?

You should bring:

  • A printout of your Enrolment Certificate.

  • 2 pieces of ID, one of which MUST be your passport or birth certificate.  Expired UK passports are acceptable if supported by a more recent piece of photo ID.  Birth certificates alone must be supported by another piece of photo ID (e.g. drivers licence).

  • EU students must bring your passport.

  • A passport photo if you have not already supplied or uploaded one via your e:VisionStaffs portal.  Please visit the 'My Student Card' section of your portal for further details.

  • If you are having a student loan you must bring your Notification of Entitlement Letter (all pages) so we can activate your loan payments.

  • Your completed Family Doctor Services Registration (GMS1) form (PDF, file size: 106.18KB) and the New Patient Questionnaire for the Doctors closest to your main campus. 

    New Patient Questionnaire for students based at the Stoke campus (PDF, file size: 12.03KB)

    International Students must bring your passport and visa (with photocopies) and your completed induction voucher as per instructions in your welcome pack.

My course information is incorrect, what should I do?

You should use the 'Query' button on the page that displays your course information. Tell us what part of the course information is wrong and submit.

Please note that your enrolment will be put on hold until the query has been investigated and resolved. You will be sent an in-tray message once your query is resolved and will then be able to continue with your enrolment.

Please also see the question below relating to Individual Modules.

My course title isn't there, it just says "Individual Modules", what does this mean?

If you are only studying one or two modules that aren't part of a larger degree award, it may say 'Individual Modules - Undergraduate - School of Health' or  'Individual Modules - Postgraduate - Business School' etc. This is OK, the single module titles do not get listed at the course details stage online enrolment stage. You will see the title of the modules you are studying once you reach the 'modules' stage of online enrolment.

I am studying by Distance Learning, yet it says Part Time - what does this mean?

Most Distance Learning courses are classed as part-time courses and this is usually the case even if you are studying as many credits as a full-time student in a single academic year.

It says "Foundation Degree of Arts" or "Foundation Degree of Science" on my course, but I'm not doing Art or Science. What does this mean?

All Foundation Degrees are now in line with Bachelors and Masters degrees, in that they are "of Arts" or "of Science". Your course is correct, this is just the updated version of the title. Please go ahead and enrol.


I'm doing a placement year, do I have to enrol?

If you're on a placement year (level P), then you will need to complete online enrolment for your course as normal. 

However - if as part of the placement you are doing a Certificate of Credit (a lot of Business School placements include this) then you will have to enrol on the Certificate of Credit.

The 'Enrol' button will not appear next to your main award.  If you are doing the Certificate whilst on placement, this will be added to your record and it will appear on your Portal in the My Courses section. When you see this Certificate on your Portal with the 'Enrol' button, then you should enrol on it.

You can check with your School's Placement Office to see if you will be doing a Certificate of Credit during your placement year.

I didn't upload a photo before I enrolled online, how can I upload one now?

To upload your photo now, please log back into your e:VisionStaffs portal and go to the 'My Student Card' section. There you can upload your photo.

I can't upload or email a photo

Please follow the links in the 'My Student Card' section of your e:VisionStaffs portal for details of how to send us a photo.

The enrolment certificate says I must bring my Notification of Entitlement letter to Face to Face enrolment, but I don't have the letter yet

Don't worry - you can still enrol online and attend Face to Face enrolment even if your Student Finance isn't sorted. Please bring the most up-to-date Student Finance letter you have (if you have one) with you to Face to Face enrolment.

You will be required to upload your letter via your e:VisionStaffs portal, within 28 days of completing your online enrolment. If you have indicated that Student Finance are paying your tuition fees, but you still have not uploaded your Notification of Entitlement letter after 28 days then you will need to contact us with and update on your Student Finance situation. You will be personally responsible for the payment of your tuition fees if you have not uploaded your letter or contacted us with an update, within 28 days of completing your online enrolment.

Do I need to register with a new Doctor whilst I'm studying?

Yes - The NHS requires you to register with a Doctor close to your term-time address if you are planning to live there for more than three months.

So, if you're not already registered with a Doctor close to your term-time address then please follow the links below to download and complete the ‘Family Doctor Services Registration (GMS1)’ form and relevant ‘New Patient Questionnaire’ depending on whether your main campus will be Stoke or Stafford.

You should then bring the completed forms to your stage 2 enrolment session where you will need to submit them to the Doctors that will be present in order to complete your registration.

Family Doctor Services Registration (GMS1) form (PDF, file size: 106.18KB)

New patient questionnaire for students whose course is based at the Stoke campus (PDF, file size: 12.03KB)

My employers are paying my tuition fee - where should I send the letter?

If your employer is paying your tuition fees then you will need a purchase order from them before completing your online enrolment.  In a few cases, a purchase order might not be used by your employer – in which case a letter of sponsorship must be obtained by you from your organisation.  The document must be uploaded via your e:VisionStaffs portal. Please note that you will be personally responsible for the payment of your tuition fees if the University has not received a letter of your sponsorship for you at the point of enrolment. Please note that a purchase order is required for each year/block of your study.

Student Finance FAQs

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions we receive regarding Student Finance.

I need my Student Support Number with Student Finance England to enrol on my course. Where can I get this?

Your Student Support Number can be found on page 3 of your Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter under the barcode in the top left hand corner of the page. Your Student Support Number will be in the format AAAA11111111A (where A=letter & 1=number) and will usually start with the letters 'SFDU'.

How can I check the progress of my application with SFE?

You can check the progress of your application by logging into your student finance account at and selecting the academic year you’ve applied for.

I have received my Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter, what should I do next?

If you have applied online then your Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter will contain an 'Online Declaration' which you are required to complete and return. Students applying to SFE should ensure that the Online Declaration is returned to the following address:
Student Finance England, PO Box 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ.

If you have received your Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter after the start of your course then you will need to upload the page showing your Student Support Number; located under the barcode in the top left hand corner of page 3; via your University e:Vision portal as a matter of urgency so that the University knows to bill Student Finance for your tuition fees. Your Student Support Number will be in the format AAAA11111111A (where A=letter & 1=number) and will usually start with the letters 'SFDU'.

I have not received an online declaration form how can I get one?

When your application for student finance is approved you will be issued with a Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter and an Online Declaration form for completion. Normally this will take 7-10 days to reach you after your application has been approved. Alternatively you can log in to your student finance account and print it from your 'View Correspondence' screen.

I have received an Online Declaration form but the details this relates to on my Notification of Entitlement letter are wrong, do I still need to sign and return this?

Yes, you should sign the original online declaration form sent to you with your notification letter and return it to Student Finance. You will only be sent one online declaration regardless of any change to your assessment, unless you have requested a reprint. The online declaration form is to allow you to accept and agree to the 'terms and conditions' of the funding awarded, therefore no payments will be made until we have received this. Please return the online declaration form to the address shown on the online declaration.

I didn't get the grades needed for my firm or insurance choices and have applied for a new course through Clearing. What do I need to do?

UCAS do not inform Student Finance England about any changes to your course details, therefore it is imperative that you notify them as quickly as possible of any change in your circumstances before starting your course. This can be done by logging in to your online account through 'change your application details'.

You will need to supply the following information:

  • New University/College name

  • New course name

  • New course duration

  • New fee amount

  • New year of study

My course is not coming up when I am trying to complete my online application, what should I do?

If you have applied for your course through UCAS and are unable to either find your course or university in the system, you should input the details manually.

If you are still having difficulties with this, you should indicate that your course is not a UCAS course and the system will at this point allow you to update your details manually and move on.

SFE will then allocate the correct course code to your application and allow the assessment to be carried out.

I have studied previously; can I still get financial support from SFE?

This support is not available if you hold a qualification equivalent or higher level to the one you are going to study. If you hold a lower level qualification or have previously studied in higher education for any period of time, support may be available, but that support will depend on the number of years that you have previously studied. Prior to starting your course you should contact SFE (0300 100 06 07) to confirm your eligibility for student finance to ensure that you can pay for the course. Full contact details for Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW), Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI) and the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) can be found at the bottom of this section.

Is my course eligible for funding from Student Finance England?

Generally, courses are eligible for financial support in the following circumstances.

If they are full-time courses (including sandwich/placement courses) and they lead to:

  • A first degree, such as a BA, BSc or BEd;

  • A Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE);

  • A Higher National Diploma (HND);

  • A Higher National Certificate (HNC);

  • A Certificate of Higher Education;

  • A course for the initial training of teachers (e.g. PGCE);

  • A course for the further training of youth or community workers;

  • A course leading to the an MEng qualification;


The following courses are eligible for funding through the Postgraduate Loan:

  • MA

  • MSc

  • MPhil

  • LLM


The following courses are not covered:

  • Access or conversion courses which prepare students to take a higher education course.

  • Courses of further education.

My course has extra weeks study, can I get additional support?

All current students domiciled in England, Wales and Northern Ireland will receive an 'extra weeks' portion of Maintenance Loan if their academic year exceeds 30 weeks and 3 days in length e.g. 2-Year Fast Track courses. Your application must be income assessed before a long course rate can be applied.

I sometimes use a different spelling of my name. How will this affect my application?

You should apply to Student Finance England (SFE) using the name that is showing on your identification (ID) i.e. Birth Certificate or Passport. If you have already made an application to the University and your name differs from the name that you used when making a Student Finance application, it will affect your payment from Student Finance England. When completing your enrolment and collecting your student ID card you will be asked to bring along either your Passport or Birth Certificate as ID. The name shown on your student ID card will match the ID that you bring with you.

I am an EU student, what type of support can I receive?

All eligible, full time EU students can take out a loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. Please note that any previous study undertaken at Higher Education (HE) level may affect your eligibility for funding (see section regarding previous study).
The maximum you can borrow depends on the fees charged by your university. It is not affected by your household income.

Should you require any further information please feel free to contact the Student Finance Services European Team:
Student Finance Services European Team, PO Box 89, Darlington, DL1 9AZ
Phone Number: (+44) (0) 141 243 3570
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.00pm

I started on a full-time course but now want to study on a part-time basis how will this affect my funding?

Please note that any previous study undertaken at Higher Education (HE) level may affect your eligibility for funding (see section regarding previous study). The funding available and tuition fees due will depend on your mode of study i.e. Part Time or Full Time. Changing your mode of study will also affect the tuition fees charged by the University.

Part Time – If you change your actual 'mode of study' from full time to part time you should apply as a new part-time student using a PTL1 form. You will be eligible to receive a Tuition Fee Loan only (subject to eligibility) but no support towards living costs.
Full Time - If you are classed as a full time student regardless of the intensity of your study (e.g. full-time student repeating on a part-time basis), you should complete a PR1 form as you will be a returning student. You will be eligible to receive funding available as a continuing student.

If I need to repeat a year of study what funding can I apply for?

Repeating a year of study – If you are a full-time student who is required to repeat a year of study (whether on a full-time or part-time basis) you should still apply to SFE as a full-time continuing student using a PR1 form. Since you intend to return to full-time study you will still be classed as a full-time student for funding purposes, though you should check your eligibility for funding with SFE as soon as you are informed that you are required to repeat the year. It is particularly important that you do this if you have repeated a year of study previously and received funding from SFE for that year.

If you are applying by paper application please send your completed application form to the following address:
Student Finance England, PO BOX 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ

I do not have a bank account yet, can I pay my student finance into someone else's account?

Due to financial regulations your Student Finance payments must be paid into your own account. SFE are unable to make payments to an account belonging to a third party (e.g. parent/partner).
You can have your student finance paid into a standard bank or building society account; for example, a current account or a basic bank account (also called an introductory account). If it is a joint account, or an account which is overdrawn, you may wish to use another account instead.

Some savings accounts or Credit Union accounts are not suitable for the payment of your student finance. SFE recommend that you contact your bank, building society or Credit Union to ensure that your account supports direct credits.

Note: SFE are unable to accept Post Office accounts.

Other people on my course have received their funding but I have not, why is this?

There are several contributing factors that may result in you not receiving payment of student loans or grants. Your application for student finance must first be approved and you will have received a Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter to confirm your funding. This will also clarify the next steps you must take to receive payment. If you have not received this then there may be some outstanding information they require from either yourself or the sponsors (parent/guardians) of the application. You can check the progress of your application or check if there is any further information needed by logging into your Student Finance account.

My fees have not been paid to the University, can you tell me why?

Normally fees will be paid to the university or college on set dates within the academic year. If your loan has been approved by Student Finance England then you are only required to show your university or college your 'payment advice notification' that was sent to you at the beginning of the academic year, it is included in the Student Finance Notification of Entitlement letter. These fees will only be paid on receipt of the Attendance Confirmation Report which is returned by your university or college. If you have not had your loan approved by student finance you will have to make alternative arrangements to pay the fees directly to the university or college. For some courses your fee support may come from other sources, e.g. NHS courses.

How and when will I be paid?

You have to complete your enrolment with the University (or College) before we can confirm your enrolment to SFE. You will usually do this in the first week of your course and you should bring along your Student Finance Notification letter, so make sure you keep this safe. Once you have enrolled and picked up your ID card, the University will let SFE know you are attending and they will make your payment. You don’t need to do anything other than enrol and collect your card. It can then take three to four days for the money to reach your account, depending on your bank.

When will I get my first payment/why have I not received my first instalment?

When your application for funding has been fully approved you will be sent a Student
Finance Notification of Entitlement letter, this letter will detail proposed payment dates for any loans and grants. The payment dates are set and governed by your university term start dates and these cannot be changed. Before the first instalment of funding is paid to you by the Student Loans Company (SLC) there are a few things that must happen:

  • SLC must have your bank details and a valid National Insurance Number (NINO).*

  • If you have made an online application, you may be asked to return a signed and dated Online Declaration

  • You must have enrolled on your course and attendance confirmation have been received from your university or college**

* The National Insurance Number (NINO) validation process will take approximately one week and will only be sent to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) once your application for support has been fully approved. Normally this is sent on a Wednesday and returned the following Wednesday. This process will take only place for all new students as the national insurance number would have been validated previously for students who are returning.
** Staffordshire University will only have access to your details on Student Loans Company’s Student Information System (SIS) once your application has been fully approved. If your application is 'Approved - Awaiting Signature' the University cannot confirm your attendance, as you have not signed and returned the declaration form.

Note: If you submitted an online application you will have been sent a declaration to complete and return. SFE cannot send your National Insurance Number for validation until this is returned. Maintenance loan and Tuition Fee loans will not be paid until SFE have a confirmed valid National Insurance Number in their system.

My payment shows as blocked, why is this?

There are general issues that may arise that can result in payments being blocked. Examples of these are as follows:

  • You have not provided SFE with bank details

  • Your national insurance number has not been provided or validated as yet by the DWP.

  • SFE have had returned mail from your address

You can check your correspondence from SFE to see why your payment is blocked

Student Finance Contact Details

Student Finance England (SFE)
Tel: 0300 100 0607
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Minicom: 0300 100 0622
(You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service).

Student Finance Wales (SFW)
Tel: 0300 200 4050
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Minicom: 0300 100 0622
(You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service).

Student Finance NI (SFNI)
Tel: 0300 100 0077
(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Minicom: 0300 100 0622
(You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service).

Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Tel: 0300 555 0505
(Open Monday to Thursday from 8.30am to 5.00pm and between 8.30am and 4.00pm on Friday. Local call rates apply).

Information Point FAQs

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions we receive in the Information Points.

What are the Term Dates?

You can find our term dates here.

What should I do if I haven't received my Bursary letter?

If you have not received your letter by the beginning of December, please contact us on 01782 295724.

Graduation FAQs

Visit our Graduation pages for information and advice relating to all aspects of Graduation.

Can't find the answer to your question?

We are here to help - so please contact the Information Points.