Student Finance

Student Finance Information

There is a wealth of information available on student finance. Below we have put together a number of useful links to help you find further information and the support you need.

Apply online at:

Student Loans Company (make payments to student):


The GOV.UK website contains information on everything from how to check your eligibility, how to apply and repaying your loan. For specific topics please see the links below:

  1. Eligibility 

  2. Student finance calculator

  3. Apply-for-student-finance

For detailed information on repaying your loan visit student loan repayment

Student Finance England

Student Finance England have put together a number of short guides that provide a useful overview on a series of topics and provide answers to a range of frequently asked questions. We have collected a sample of these together, the links for which you can find below:

  1. Myths and facts about student finance

  2. Student finance package for courses starting on or after 1st August 2016

  3. Student finance and how to check your eligibility

  4. How and when to apply

  5. Evidence required to support your application

  6. Repaying your loan

Guides on additional funding based on personal circumstances

Below you will find a series of guides that provide information on additional support that you may be entitled to depending on your personal circumstances:

  1. Adult Dependants Grant and Parents Learning Allowance

  2. Additional support for Care Leavers

  3. Childcare Grant

  4. Disabled Students Allowances

  5. Travel Grant

NHS Funding

From 2017/18 students will no longer be able to apply for the NHS Bursary. Below is a useful guide that summarises what funding is available under the new arrangements:

  1. Student Finance for new NHS students

Students who are in receipt of an NHS Student Bursary (anyone who started their course prior to September 2017) can find more information about this via the NHS Bursary webpage

Additional funding under NHS Business Services Authority –

Additional Webpages

The Student Room

A really good website – there is also an ‘ask an advisor (from SFE)’ section on here too: The Student Room

SFE – Student Finance Zone

Loads of useful stuff on here: The Student Room/SFE Zone

Staffordshire University Hardship Fund for Academic Year 2017/2018 only

The University has introduced a new hardship fund to replace the Access to Learning fund. The Access to Learning Fund was withdrawn by the Government at the end of 2013/14 academic year.

The fund will be used to assist students in the following ways.

1. To support students who incur unexpected costs as a result of an unforeseen emergency situation that is beyond their control.
2. To support students who have exhausted their available funds while they await their next maintenance loan instalment and/or seek employment.
3. To support students whose maintenance loan/grant is delayed by providing short term emergency loans.
4. To support students requiring dyslexia assessments by paying £100 towards the cost of a full assessment.

Students apply for each type of support by completing a specific application form in accordance with the relevant guidelines. Please remember that the Hardship Fund is discretionary and students do not have a right to receive assistance. Each application will be assessed on an individual basis, and therefore it is important for students to take the time to explain their circumstances fully to ensure that the University understands the nature and the extent of financial hardship.

The fund has limited resources and therefore any award will be modest with the aim of providing short term emergency support. The Fund is unable to provide ongoing or regular support to any student.

Emergency Hardship Fund 2017/18

Hardship Fund 2017/18 – Budgeting

Summer Hardship Fund Category A 2017/18

Summer Hardship Fund Category B 2017/18

Students' Union Money Doctor

Do you have a question about money?
Are you sure you’re getting all you’re entitled to financially?
Do you know how you could make savings?

The Students’ Union Money Doctor gives free, independent, impartial and confidential advice. So why not go and see them for a free financial check-up.


Student Advice Centre (Above the Ember Lounge), College Road,

Tel: 01782 294469,