Frequently asked questions about integrated Masters degrees

How is an integrated Masters different to a normal degree?

You will study for a longer period of time - four years instead of three - and gain a higher level qualification. You also have the option of a placement year, which means your degree will be over five years.

Will I have a personal tutor?

Yes. A personal tutor will guide, support and encourage you. You'll generally meet up every semester. This ensures contact and the opportunity to get to know each other.

Is an integrated Masters more expensive than a normal three-year degree?

You'll pay four years of tuition fees, and your living costs will be over four years too. But the whole degree is treated as undergraduate when it comes to your student loan. So you'll pay back 9% of your salary over £21,000. If you apply for a Masters separately, with a postgraduate loan, you'll pay your undergraduate loan back at 9% plus your postgraduate loan at 6%. This means you'll pay 15% in total of your salary over £21,000.*

Can I still do a placement year with an integrated Masters degree?

Yes. You can take a placement on our integrated Masters programmes.

Do employers value an integrated Masters degree?

Employers value the advanced skills and commitment demonstrated by an integrated Masters degree. It also shows your commitment to your specialism when you're looking for a job.

Can International students apply for an integrated Masters?

Yes. International students can apply for any of our integrated Masters degrees. If you apply for a course without a placement year, the Tier 4 Visa and financial requirements are the same as for any other undergraduate degree. Please contact our Enquiries team if you have specific questions about integrated Masters degrees with placements.

How do I apply for an integrated Masters degree?

You apply in the normal way through UCAS. You'll be invited for an informal chat (face to face, telephone or video call). This will ascertain your suitability for the degree.

Can I do an integrated Masters if I've already applied for a Bachelors degree?

If you have applied to study on the BSc or BEng version of the course, you can still apply to transfer to the integrated Masters degree at the end of your second year. You also still retain the option of leaving the course after three years with a Bachelors degree.

*These figures are correct at time of writing. Check Student Finance for up-to-date information.

I chose to do an MSci to enhance my skills and employability. Doing an integrated Masters will make my CV stand out in this highly competitive job market. Since it was the first time the MSci was running, I decided not to let the opportunity pass me by.

Shamiso Marufu

Find out more about integrated Masters degrees

Book on to an Open Day Get our Prospectus