This course is designed to develop the fundamental knowledge and practical skills for learners to undertake a simple security risk assessment for an IT-based system. Participants will learn how to use this knowledge to be able to create guidelines to identify problems and find a suitable resolution. It will also address topics of risk assessment and security models.
Business Cyber Security: Introduction and overview
Week 1 - Introduction and overview
Week 2 - Identifying business security risks
Week 3 - Proposing solutions to company security risks
Security, policy, and risk ratings
Week 4 - Security risk ratings
Week 5 - Common practice in defending systems
Week 6 - Security policies
Security: Tools, techniques, and models used to protect computer systems
Week 7 - Security models and security mechanisms
Week 8 - Access control approaches
Week 9 - Tools and techniques used by defence to protect computer systems
Malicious code: viruses, worms, and trojan horses
Week 10 - Malicious code: viruses, worms, trojan horses
Week 11 - Assessment surgery
Week 12 - Assessment surgery
The learner will understand terms, such as threat actors, assets, risk assessment, evaluation and implementation, security policies and best practise for an SME.
- Improve security awareness
- Improve security policies
- Improve risk assessment and mitigation
- Improve the reputation of the business
- Help to improve or create a safer working environment for employees
- Could help the learner get a job or progress in their current career, demonstrating CPD
- Learner will be more desirable when applying for a job
- The skills and knowledge gained will be transferable across disciplines
After completing this course, you will receive 20 free credits which can then be used for future learning.
The Staffordshire Higher Skills and Engagement Pathways programme is part funded by the European Social Fund.