This course provides the fundamental knowledge and practical skills of the world's third most popular programming language: Python. A versatile and easy-to-use language, Python is in high demand and offers many job opportunities.
Many non-programmers have adopted Python. The language is invaluable in sectors, such as data analytics, AI, machine learning, finance, game development, and more.
Join us for 12 weeks to develop exciting future-proof skills for life.
(Weeks 1-3) Unit 1: Fundamentals of procedural programming
- Variables & data types
- Input & Output
- Control structures (Sequence, selection & iteration)
- Arrays and other data structure
- Assessment brief
(Weeks 4-6) Unit 2: Problem-solving
- Introduction to program analysis and design techniques
- File handling
- Design, implementation and maintenance of trustworthy software (including British Standards Institution PAS 754)
(Weeks 7-9) Unit 3: Classes and objects
- Inheritance & polymorphism
- Association & aggregation
- Abstract classes
- Introduction to GUI components
- Testing and unit testing
(Weeks 10-12) Unit 4: Problem-solving with OO designs (UML)
- UML (Use case diagrams, Activity diagrams, Class diagrams, and Sequence diagrams)
- Implementing OO application designs in an OO programming language
- Simple design patterns
- Event-driven programming
- Accessing databases
By the end of units 1 and 2, the learner will be able to use a procedural approach to design, encode and test solutions in the Python programming language.
By the end of units 3 and 4, the learner will be able to use an object-oriented approach to design, encode and test solutions in the Python programming language.
- Improve program design skills in the company
- Improve programming skills in the company
- Help non-computing graduates gain fundamental knowledge and skills needed for a career in computing
There will be a practical assessment in the fourth module.
This can either be a stand-alone unit or could lead to a Bachelor’s degree programme.
After completing this course, you will receive 20 credits which can then be used for future learning.
The Staffordshire E-Skills & Entrepreneurship Gateway (SEGway) is part funded by the European Social Fund.