I am a Senior Lecturer in Biomedicine, with a background as a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS. As a Biomedical Scientist, I specialised in Haematology & Blood Transfusion; I am particularly interested in haematological malignancies and blood film morphology. This interest has formed much of my further study following my BSc (Hons) in Applied Biomedical Science and forms the basis for the Professional Doctorate I am currently undertaking.
I first came to university teaching in 2019 following completion of my MSc, but the passion for enthusing students of all ages and abilities has been a long-running hobby of mine as I have been a qualified dance teacher since the age of 16. Prior to taking up my current post at Staffordshire University, I worked as a Teaching Fellow at The University of Salford.
Outside of teaching, I am the chairperson of the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) North Staffordshire branch. I am also a registration portfolio verifier and specialist portfolio examiner for the IBMS.
Professional memberships and activities
- HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist (BS68367)
- Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Currently undertaking Professional Doctorate at Staffordshire University
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice, University of Salford
- Higher Specialist Diploma in Haematology, Institute of Biomedical Science
- MSc in Haematology, University of Chester
- Specialist Diploma in Haematology, Institute of Biomedical Science
- BSc (Hons) in Applied Biomedical Science, Keele University
- Haematological malignancy
- Blood film morphology
- Advancing the education pathways and role of Biomedical Scientists
- Pedagogy of courses for Biomedical Scientists
- Building blocks of life (module leader)
- Biochemistry and blood science (module leader)
- Diagnostic healthcare science (module leader)
- Health and disease (teaching team)
- Professional research practice (teaching team)
- Interventions and disease management (teaching team)