I am a lecturer within the Institute of Policing and have been working here since November 2021. Before moving into teaching in July 2021, I was a police officer for 21 years, serving with West Midlands Police (WMP). I briefly worked at Sandwell College delivering Public Services and Criminology before moving into higher education. Prior to my police career, I was in the Army for 14 years, having joined straight from school.
18 years of my policing career in WMP was spent as a team leader on the Firearms Operations Unit's tactical team. During this time, I dealt with offenders who may be in possession of firearms or who were deemed otherwise so dangerous in criminality or counter terrorism environments. I was also a Police Firearms Instructor and delivered tactical training to firearms officers as well as advising commanders during firearms operations.
In support of my leadership role, I completed a master’s degree in Managing and Leading People at Coventry University.
I have a passion for community wellbeing and I apply this to all areas of my life. I'm involved in raising money for charities local to me in Birmingham, taking part in events such as long-distance triathlons and cycling. I have also completed the London Marathon on 10 occasions as well as the Marathon Des Sables. I'm proud to have been twice named in Birmingham Children’s Hospital's ‘100 Heroes’ list for their top 100 fundraisers.
Professional memberships and activities
- Member Society for Education and Training (MSET)
- Technical Member Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (TechIOSH)
- Master of Arts (MA) Managing and Leading People (2020) - Coventry University.
- Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS 2013) - Canterbury Christchurch University.
- Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTTLS) – 2011.
- Level 4 Internal Quality Assurance (IQA).
- Level 4 Certificate in First Response Emergency Care (FREC 4).
- Level 3 Training, Assessment and Quality Assurance (TAQA).
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety – Distinction.