I graduated from Staffordshire University with first-class honours in Sport and Exercise Psychology (BPS accredited) in 2016. From this, I completed an MSc Sport and Exercise Psychology (BPS accredited) at Loughborough University in 2017. In the September of 2017 I started a Ph.D. examining the psychophysiological and performance consequences of the social identity approach to leadership under the supervision of Dr. Matthew Slater and Dr. Martin Turner. Alongside the Ph.D. I started my Post-Graduate Certificate in in Higher and Professional Education in 2019. Further, I consult within a range of elite sporting organisations. I began the role of Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology in June 2020.
Professional memberships and activities
- Member of the British Psychological Society, September 2013-ongoing
- Member of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Science, September 2017-ongoing
- PhD. Psychophysiology and performance consequences of leadership, expected completion August 2020
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education, expected September 2020
- MSc in Sport and Exercise Psychology, Loughborough University; 2017
- BSc (Hons) First Class Honours in Sport and Exercise Psychology, Staffordshire University; 2016
My primary expertise is in understanding human performance and wellbeing under pressure, centred around the social identity approach to leadership, psychophysiological stress and emotion management. My most recent projects involve examining the influence the social identity approach to leadership has on athletes’ stress related appraisals, physiological reactivity and performance. Current global projects that I am leading involve measurement development and refinement, examining the influence the social identity approach to leadership has on youth athletes’ well-being and performance.
My primary interests are in understanding human performance and wellbeing under pressure. To date, this has centred around the social identity approach to leadership, psychophysiological stress and emotion management. I am leading projects on measurement development and refinement within youth sport contexts, aiming to understand human performance and wellbeing under pressure within this setting.
Enterprise and commercial interests
My connections with football clubs in particular have allowed me to translate my research across sporting organisations, being a funded project within Port Vale FC (U9-U18s). I have been interviewed twice by the media team at Staffordshire University, disseminating the real-world impact of my PhD. I have published in The Psychologist twice, which is the industries magazine. I have published in The Conversation, covering the impact identity leadership has within team sport settings, leading to coverage in print (e.g., Metro).
Current module leadership:
- Advanced Sport and Exercise Psychology (Level 5),
- Individual Differences and Psychometrics in Sport and Exercise (Online: Level 4),
- Cognitive and Biological Psychology in Sport and Exercise (Online: Level 5).
Additional module teaching:
- Fundamentals of the Psychology of Sport and Exercise (Level 4),
- Developing Research Skills in Sport and Exercise (Level 4),
- Psychology Research Project Supervisor (Level 6),
- Sport Science for Coaches and Teachers (level 4),
- Stress and Emotion (Level 6),
- Performing in Organisations (Level 7),
- Skilled Performance Under Pressure (Level 7),
- Group Dynamics and Leadership in Sport and Exercise (Level 7).
- Turner, M. J., Carrington, S., & Miller, A. (2019). Psychological distress across sport participation groups: The mediating effects of secondary irrational beliefs on the relationship between primary irrational beliefs and symptoms of anxiety, anger, and depression. journal of clinical sport psychology, 13(1), 17-40. https://doi.org/10.1123/jcsp.2017-0014
- Turner, M. J., Slater, M. J., Dixon, J., & Miller, A. (2018). Test–retest reliability of the irrational performance beliefs inventory. European journal of sport science, 18(1), 123-129. https://doi.org/10.1080/17461391.2017.1411527