I started the ambulance service in 2000 working as a medical dispatcher, then I moved operational as an ambulance technician then paramedic. I worked for many years on ambulances and fast response where I developed an interest in education and training. I became a clinical tutor and then moved into Higher education in 2017 as a paramedic lecturer.
During my career I found a passion for helping support my colleagues and caring for their wellbeing, as a clinician myself I understood too well the impact of traumatic and stressful experiences within our profession and so I studied my Masters in Integrative counselling and psychotherapy. Since doing so I have been able to introduce wellbeing and mental health awareness into the paramedic curriculum at degree level to promote and support wellbeing in paramedic and other healthcare students.
Professional memberships and activities
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Registered with the HCPC as a Paramedic
- Member of the College of Paramedics
- Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- MSc Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy, Derby University
- PGCE Higher Education and Professional Practice, Wolverhampton University
- FdSc Professional Practice in Pre-hospital Care, Northampton University
- Mental health and wellbeing
- Research and service development in paramedic practice
- Communication and Professionalism
Stress and coping strategies amongst paramedics, an integrative perspective