I joined Staffordshire University in 2018 having been a Senior Lecturer in Criminology at Canterbury Christ Church University between 2014-2018.
I have led and taught on undergraduate and postgraduate modules across Sociology, Criminology, Religious Studies, and Terrorism Studies programmes. I acquired Fellowship of the HEA in 2016 and membership of the Teaching and Learning Academy in 2017.
I have a PhD in Sociology (Kent) and research and publish in the areas of political Islam, counter-terrorism, radicalisation, race, and Islamophobia. I would be interested to hear from prospective PhD students who would like to pursue a doctorate in these areas.
Professional memberships and activities
- Association of Muslim Social Scientists UK
- British Society of Criminology
- Ethnic Minority Research Network in Criminology
- European Society of Criminology
- Higher Education Academy
- Islamic Studies Network
- Howard League Early Career Academics Network
- Greater Manchester Diversity Research Forum
- Muslims in Britain Research Network
- Teaching and Learning Academy.
2017 – Current: MA Education
2016: Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
2013: PhD Sociology, University of Kent
2008: MSc Criminology and Criminal Justice (Research Methods), University of Oxford
2007: BSc (Hons) Criminology and Forensic Science, Northumbria University.
- Political Sociology
- Critical Race Theory
- Political Islam
Enterprise and commercial interests
- I have engaged with various national and international media outlets, such as BBC, Guardian, Al Jazeera, and PBS America.
- I have worked with numerous organisations to deliver workshops in my areas of expertise.
- To get in touch about commercial and enterprise activities, email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Qurashi, F. (2018) ‘The Prevent strategy and the UK ‘war on terror’: embedding infrastructures of surveillance in Muslim communities’, in Palgrave Communications. 4(17): 1-13
- Qurashi, F. (2017) “Just get on with it’: implementing the Prevent duty in higher education and the role of academic expertise’, in Education, Citizenship, and Social Justice. 12(3): 197-212
- Qurashi, F. (2018) ‘Black Panther: the same old western politics with a black face’, in 5Pillars.
- Qurashi, F. (2017) ‘She’s not indifferent…we are: on our culture of denial in the ‘war on terror’, in Ceasefire. 4th April
- Qurashi, F. (2016) ‘Prevent gives people permission to hate Muslims – it has no place in schools’, in The Guardian. 4th April.