My educational background is in the areas of Mechanics of Materials, Computational Mechanics and Biomechanics and my research is focused on enhancing the diagnosis and clinical management of various pathological conditions through the combined use of non-invasive in-vivo mechanical testing and computer modelling. I joined Staffordshire University in 2012 as part of an EC funded project aiming to advance scientific knowledge in the area of diabetic foot management and footwear prescription (http://www.diabsmart.eu/partners.php).
Professional memberships and activities
Full member of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM). Awarded the status of Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Founding member of the Greek Society for Experimental Mechanics.
Full member of the International Society of Biomechanics (ISB).
Member of Marie Curie Alumni Association
MEng in Applied Mathematical and Physical Sciences, National Technical University of Athens Greece, 2005
MSc in Computational Mechanics, National Technical University of Athens Greece, 2007
PhD in Biomechanics, National Technical University of Athens Greece, 2010 .
Biomechanics, finite element modelling, mechanical testing, in-vivo mechanical characterisation of soft tissues, 3D printing
- Non-invasive, in-vivo characterisation of the mechanical properties of soft tissues.
- Patient specific finite element modelling.
- Clinically applicable computer modelling.
- Enhancing the design and production of orthotics using computer modelling and 3D printing.
- Novel applications of ultrasound imaging.
Enterprise and commercial interests
- R. Naemi, N. Chockalingam and P.E. Chatzistergos. Shear-reducing midsole. Application filed on 18/03/2014, Application number: GB1401795.5.
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi and N. Chockalingam. Improvements related to Ultrasound Imaging. Application filed on 27/04/2015, Application number: GB1507099.8.
- R. Naemi, P.E. Chatzistergos and N. Chockalingam. Articles for foot care. Application filed on 03/06/2015.
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi and N. Chockalingam. Deformable structures. Application filed on 20/12/2016, Application number: 5170/4243/P/GB
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi and N. Self adapting support structure. Application filed on 12/10/2017, Application number: 1716746.
Applied Biomechanics and Kinesiology
- S. Behforootan, P.E. Chatzistergos, N. Chockalingam, R. Naemi, A simulation of the viscoelastic behaviour of heel pad during weight-bearing activities of daily living, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2017;45:2750-2761 (Q1).
- P. Chatzistergos, G. Karaoglanis, S. Kourkoulis, M. Tyllianakis, E. Stamatis, Supplementary Medial Locking Plate Fixation of Ludloff Osteotomy versus Sole Lag Screw Fixation: A Biomechanical evaluation, Clinical biomechanics, 2017; 47:66-72 (Q1).
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi, A. Healy, P. Gerth, N. Chockalingam, Subject specific optimisation of the stiffness of footwear material for maximum plantar pressure reduction, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 2017; 45(8):1929-1940 (Q1).
- I. Doulamis, P.E. Chatzistergos, A.S. Mitousoudis, S.K. Kourkoulis, D.N. Perrea., Exercise as a mean to reverse the detrimental effect of high-fat-diet on bone’s fracture characteristics, Fracture and Structural Integrity, 2017; 40: 85-94.
- S. Behforootan, P.E. Chatzistergos, N. Chockalingam, R. Naemi, A clinically applicable non-invasive method to quantitatively assess the visco-hyperelastic properties of human heel pad with implications for assessing the risk of mechanical trauma. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2017; 68:287-295 (Q1).
- R. Naemi, P.E. Chatzistergos, N. Chockalingam, Can plantar soft tissue biomechanics enhance prognosis of diabetic foot ulceration?Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 2017; 126: 182–191 (Q1).
- C. Maganaris, P. Chatzistergos, N. Reeves, M. Narici, Quantification of internal stress-strain fields in human tendon: Unravelling the mechanisms that underlie regional tendon adaptations and mal-adaptations to mechanical loading and the effectiveness of therapeutic eccentric exercise, Frontiers in Physiology,2017;8:1-11(Q1).
- R. Naemi, P.E. Chatzistergos, N. Chockalingam, Mechanical characteristics of plantar soft tissue: The differences between ulcerated and non-ulcerated foot, Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, 2016; 30(7): 1293-9 (Q1)
- R. Naemi, P.E. Chatzistergos, N. Chockalingam, A mathematical method for quantifying in vivo mechanical behaviour of heel pad under dynamic load, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, 2016; 54(2): 341-350.
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi, N. Chockalingam, A method for subject-specific modelling and optimisation of the cushioning properties of insole materials used in diabetic footwear. Medical Engineering and Physics, 2015;37(6):531–538
- R. Deshpande, R. E. Ramalingam, P. Chatzistergos, V. Jasani, N. Chockalingam, Semi-automated lung field segmentation in scoliosis radiographs: An exploratory study, Journal of Medical and Biological Engineering, 2015; 35(5): 608-616
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi, N. Chockalingam, An MRI compatible loading device for the reconstruction of clinically relevant plantar pressure distributions and loading scenarios of the foot. Medical Engineering and Physics, 2014; 36(9):1205-11
- P.E. Chatzistergos, R. Naemi, R. Sundar, A. Ramachandran, N. Chockalingam, The relationship between the mechanical properties of heel-pad and common clinical measures associated with foot ulcers in patients with diabetes. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, 2014; 28(4):488–493(Q1)
- S. Tsitsilonis, P.E. Chatzistergos, A.S. Mitousoudis, S.K. Kourkoulis, I.S. Vlachos, G. Agrogiannis, K. Fasseas, D.N. Perrea, A.B. Zoubos, Anabolic androgenic steroids reverse the beneficial effect of exercise on tendon biomechanics: an experimental study. Foot and Ankle Surgery, 2014; 20(2): 94-99
- S.K. Kourkoulis, Ch. F. Markides, P.E. Chatzistergos, The contact length in the standardized Brazilian disc test: an analytic and experimental approach. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 2013;57:132-141(Q1)
- S. K. Kourkoulis, Ch. F. Markides, P.E. Chatzistergos, The Brazilian disc under parabolically varying load: Theoretical and experimental study of the displacement field. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 2012;49:959-972(Q1)
- S. Tsilikas, E. Stamatis, S. Kourkoulis, A. Mitousoudis, P. Chatzistergos, P. Papagelopoulos, Mechanical Comparison of two types of fixation for Ludloff oblique first metatarsal osteotomy. Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, 2011;50(6):699-702(Q1)
- P.E. Chatzistergos, E.A. Magnissalis, S.K. Kourkoulis, Numerical simulation of bone screw induced pretension: the cases of under-tapping and conical profile. Medical Engineering and Physics, 2014;36(3):378-86
- P.E. Chatzistergos, G. Sapkas, S.K. Kourkoulis, The Influence of the Insertion Technique on the Pullout Force of Pedicle Screws: An Experimental Study. Spine, 2010;35:E332-7 (Q1)
- P.E. Chatzistergos, E.A. Magnissalis, S.K. Kourkoulis, A Parametric Study of Cylindrical Pedicle Screw Design Implications on the Pullout Performance Using an Experimentally Validated Finite Element Model. Medical Engineering and Physics, 2010;32:145-54