My research combines high-throughput genome sequencing, phenotyping, transcriptomics, and genetic association analyses to understand the genetic basis of functionally relevant and industrially important traits.
I am also interested in understanding the role of non-coding RNA in cell function and gene regulation and studying the mechanisms required for evolutionary adaptations of organisms to environmental change.
I believe in integrating research and teaching activities as it builds up the knowledge transfer process and prepares students to be lifelong learners. Previously, while teaching undergraduate field courses at the University of Manchester, I developed studies on the biodiversity of microorganisms at Alpine environments which lead to the discovery of novel yeast species. I am actively involved in research outreach as I believe that public engagement in science can educate and involve the community and increase their support in scientific research.
Professional memberships and activities
- Microbiology Society
- American Society for Microbiology
- Genetics Society of America
- European Society for Evolutionary Biology
- PhD. 2011. ‘Molecular evolution in yeast: Role of chromosomal inversions and translocations in speciation, adaptation and gene expression processes.’ The University of Manchester, UK.
- MSc. 2007. Microbiology. University of Karachi, Pakistan
- BSc (Hons). 2006. Microbiology. University of Karachi, Pakistan.
- Molecular Biology and Microbiology
- Yeast Genetics and Biotechnology
- Synthetic Biology
- Isolation of microbial species from natural environments
- Applying synthetic biology and quantitative genetics to study yeast hybrids for biotechnological purposes.
- Study the role of chromosomal rearrangements on fitness adaptation and global gene expression.
- Understanding the role of non-coding RNA in cell function and gene regulation.
- Determining the environmental factors affecting the microbial biodiversity and understanding their physiological and evolutionary adaptation.
- Molecular Genetics and Genetic Engineering
- Current Advances in Molecular Biology
- Research projects