I have a professional background in strategic and digital marketing, having set up and ran my own award-winning PR agency, a lifestyle magazine and an e-commerce company. I have worked in digital marketing since 2000 and I’m the co-author of the 7th edition of ‘Digital Business & Ecommerce Management’.
More recently, I have provided digital transformation keynote talks and workshops for Fortune 500 and FTSE 100 companies in the UK and across Europe. I have worked with organisations such as the NHS, AkzoNobel, Monstanto, Dechra, KPMG and the Chartered Institute of Marketing. I am a PhD researcher, exploring the impact of digital communications on organisations and how they can respond to change in an agile way. I am currently writing a book on Digital Transformation in Marketing (due to be published at the beginning of 2022).
I have worked in Higher Education for over nine years because I’m passionate about teaching; this has included developing and teaching on undergraduate, MBA and degree apprenticeship programmes.
I am also passionate about technology and am considered one of the UK’s leading experts in growth hacking for tech start-ups - often being asked to be a keynote speaker on the subject. I am also mentor for Tech Manchester and provide support for SMEs.
Professional memberships and activities
Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing (MCIM)
Member of the Chartered Institute of Public Relations (MCIPR)
MSc in Digital Marketing Communications (with Distinction), Manchester Metropolitan University
Professional Diploma in Digital Marketing, Digital Marketing Institute
Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) Postgraduate Diploma
- Strategic marketing management
- Digital marketing
- Marketing communications
- Public Relations
I am an external examiner for the MBA with Professional Placement for UCLAN.
I am currently studying for a PhD. My research areas are around growth hacking, digital marketing transformation and social media marketing.
Enterprise and commercial interests
- University consultancy work includes supporting businesses with innovation, digital marketing and branding.
- Mentor for Tech Manchester
- Guest speaker for organisations such as the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), MPA, etc.
- Level 6 verifier for the Chartered Institute of Marketing, to help ensure qualification standards. Units include: Strategic Marketing, Driving Innovation, Mastering Metrics and Digital Strategy (2017-18)
- Technical authority (i.e. qualification development) for the CIM on two new L6 digital marketing qualifications: Mastering Digital Channels & Driving Digital Experience (2018)
I often get asked to speak at industry events and to provide expert comment in the media. Past speaking engagements include:
- May 2018 – CIM Northern Conference: How to make your brand Instafamous
- November 2017 – Smart Business Tech Live Conference (Manchester): Growth Hacking to Increase Sales
- May 2017 – Business Growth Hub (Spark2Scale programme): Using Growth Hacking for Innovation
- March 2017 – CIM Liverpool Event: How to Growth Hack your Way to Increased Sales
- October 2016 – MPA Marketing Mic Night at Mediacom: What is Growth Hacking?
- April 2016 – CIM Northern Conference, Manchester: Explore: How to Growth Hack your way to Increased Sales
BA(Hons) Digital and Social Media Marketing
Digital Marketer Degree Apprenticeship
MSc Digital Marketing Management - The Management of a Digital Marketing Project
MSc Digital Marketing Management - Work Based Digital Project
Teach on Modules:
Level 6 Digital Acquisition, Conversion and Retention
CIM Level 6 Diploma in Professional Marketing - Marketing & Digital Strategy
- Annual Academy of Marketing Conference, The Magic of Marketing: ‘Growth Hacking’: Aiding UK Technology Start-ups’, University of Limerick, Eire. (2015)
- Expert Guide to Growth Hacking (2019), published by SmartInsights.com
- Journal Article published with Tony Conway ‘Growth Hacking as an Approach to Producing Growth Amongst UK Technology Start-Ups: An Evaluation’ published in the Journal of Research in Marketing & Entrepreneurship (2019). https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JRME-12-2018-0065/full/html
- Co-author of ‘Digital Business & Ecommerce Management’ 7th Ed. Pearson Education.