Job Title and Responsibilities
Course leader for BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences
Lecturer in Biomedical Science
I graduated with a degree in Human Biology in 2005 and gained my PhD in Immunology in 2009, both from the University of St Andrews in Scotland. After completing my doctoral studies I travelled for 9 months visiting (amongst others) Nepal, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and Peru. I love to travel and continue to do so as often as I can.
When I returned to the UK I took up a post at Southampton General Hospital in their Clinical Immunology Department where I worked for 3 and half years. During this time I completed a Masters in Medical Immunology taught by Kings’ College London. I have also completed the competency assessment required for registration as a Clinical Immunologist and am currently preparing a portfolio for submission to the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC) in order to complete my training.
I joined the team here at Staffordshire University in May 2013 as a Lecturer in Biomedical Science.
PhD. 2009. ‘The Role of HLA-B27 in Inflammatory Arthritis’. University of St Andrews, School of Medicine.
MSc. 2012. Medical Immunology. Kings College London.
BSc (Hons) 2005. Human Biology. University of St Andrews, School of Biology.
- British Society for Immunology
- Association for Clinical Biochemistry
- Regional susceptibility to TNF-a induction of murine brain inflammation via classical IKK/NFkB signalling. Young AM, Campbell EC, Lynch S, Dunn MH, Powis SJ, Suckling J. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e39049. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0039049. Epub 2012 Jun 11.
- Aberrant NF-kappaB expression in autism spectrum condition: a mechanism for neuroinflammation. Young AM, Campbell EC, Lynch S, Suckling J, Powis SJ. Front Psychiatry. 2011;2:27. Epub 2011 May 13.
- Novel MHC class I structures on exosomes. Lynch S, Santos SG, Campbell EC, Nimmo AM, Botting C, Prescott A, Antoniou AN, Powis SJ. J Immunol. 2009 Aug 1;183(3):1884-91. Epub 2009 Jul 13.
- Novel detection of in vivo HLA-B27 conformations correlates with ankylosing spondylitis association. Fussel H, Nesbeth D, Lenart I, Campbell EC, Lynch SJ, Santos S, Gould K, Powis SJ, Antoniou AN. Arthritis Rheum. 2008 Nov;58(11):3419-24.
- Induction of HLA-B27 heavy chain homodimer formation after activation in dendritic cells. Santos SG, Lynch S, Campbell EC, Antoniou AN, Powis SJ. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10(4):R100. Epub 2008 Aug 29.
- ERp57 interacts with conserved cysteine residues in the MHC class I peptide-binding groove. Antoniou AN, Santos SG, Campbell EC, Lynch S, Arosa FA, Powis SJ. FEBS Lett. 2007 May 15;581(10):1988-92. Epub 2007 Apr 24.
- Major histocompatability complex class I-ERp57-tapasin interactions within the peptide-loading complex. Santos SG, Campbell EC, Lynch S, Wong V, Antoniou AN, Powis SJ. J Biol Chem. 2007 Jun 15;282(24):17587-93. Epub 2007 Apr 24.
ContactDr Sarah Williams
School of Sciences (Biological and Biomedical Sciences)
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Sciences
t: +44 (0)1782 295829