Skip to content

Earn while you learn

Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-iconAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-colour

Many students successfully combine their studies with part-time work. Part time work is a great way to help make ends meet, develop new skills and meet new people. It will also look great on your CV.

The University has its own dedicated recruitment agency called Unitemps through which you can register to receive details of part-time work that you can fit around your studies. There are also work opportunities available through our Students' Union, see staffsunion/getinvolved for further information.

Make sure you update your CV before applying for jobs. Ensure your CV states what relevant skills you have and where or how you've gained them. Make it easy for employers to read by using Ariel 11 or 12 and make use of headings and bullet points.


How many hours should I work?

If you’re a full-time student you may find your studies suffer if you work more than 20 hours a week.

What support is there to help you find a part time job?

Based in the Science Centre, our Career Studio is a vibrant space ran by trained student Career Coaches, who alongside our career experts, help support students to achieve professional success. So, whether you want help with applications, finding part time work, writing your CV, interviews or career planning, drop in and we can help!

You can drop into our Career Studio Monday-Friday between 10am and 6pm and chat to one of our Career Coaches. Alternatively you can drop us an email at or give us a call on 01782 294991

Should I be paying Income Tax and National Insurance contributions?

Students in the UK are liable to pay Income Tax and National Insurance contributions on their earnings just like everyone else.

Top top: Check that the deductions from your wages are correct, especially if you have more than one job. For information on tax and National Insurance contributions, including a tax calculator, visit the HMRC website for student tax advice.

Work arrangements for EU and International Students

All EEA and Swiss national students can work in the UK (during or after their studies). From 1 July 2018, Croatian nationals are no longer subject to the Worker Authorisation Scheme, and therefore can work from this date without obtaining permission. If you were someone who was required to obtain an accession worker authorisation document under the Worker Authorisation Scheme, it is important that you keep the document(s) you were issued.

If you require a Student visa to study, there are restrictions on both the number of hours you can work and on the type of work. It is a criminal offence to break these rules, so it is important that you check the restrictions on work before you start working and are clear on what you may and may not do.

Top tip: Check the UKCISA website for the latest guidance on working if you're a Student visa holder.