Skip to content

Appeals, complaints and conduct

Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-iconAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-colour

You can find the University's current student Policies and Procedures online.

What is an appeal?

You can appeal up to 2 weeks (excluding bank holidays) following the publication of your results on e:vision.  You will need to write to, you must explain why you wish to appeal and include evidence to support your case.  The only reasons you can appeal are:

a) if your results have been affected by the University not following its own assessment  procedure.  If you are a research student, this may include the arrangements for your supervision.  Academics use their knowledge and expertise to mark your work.  This is academic judgement.  You cannot appeal because, in your opinion, this judgement is wrong.

b) you had exceptional circumstances which you could not reasonably apply for, or evidence, using the Exceptional Circumstances Procedure

If you would like guidance or support with your appeal, please contact the Money & Guidance Advisors at and the Students' Union Student Advice Centre at or your partner provider support team.

Complaints and Appeals Procedure

How do I complain?

Here at Staffs we want to do all we can to make sure you have a fantastic student experience.  If something isn't quite right, let us know and we will try to put it right quickly and without a fuss.

If we haven't been able to resolve your concern, or if your complaint is about something very serious, we have a University Complaints Procedure which you can use.  We will consider all complaints in a fair and timely way, striving to resolve any concerns. 

If you are a Staffordshire University student studying at one of our partner providers, you will need to raise any concerns with your College in the first instance.  If you have completed their procedure but remain unhappy, we ask that you contact us directly and we will try to help to find a resolution.  Please contact

Complaints and Appeals Procedure

What are exceptional circumstances?

We want you to submit your assessments first time, on time.  If you need additional support, please contact your Personal Tutor, there may be something we can do to ensure you meet your deadline.  If something happens which you could not have planned for, you may be able to claim for Exceptional Circumstances to be taken into account.  You must make your claim as soon as possible and no later than 2 weeks after the assessment date (excluding bank holidays).

Exceptional Circumstances Procedure

What is good academic conduct?

To have good academic conduct you must study and complete your assessments honestly.  This means that:

  • Your work is your own;
  • You have acknowledged every source of information you have used;
  • Your research has been done ethically.

Staffordshire University provides study skills support and guidance to help you understand what good academic conduct is.  Poor academic conduct is called academic misconduct.  There are different types of academic misconduct and you can find a list in the Academic Conduct Procedure, along with how the University will consider any cases of poor academic conduct.

Academic Conduct Procedure

What do I need to know about student discipline?

We want to create an inclusive and safe environment for our University community.  Our Student Disciplinary Procedure supports that aim and will be used in a consistent and fair way to consider any student conduct which does not meet the University values.  We are Proud to be Staffs and we want you to be too.

Student Conduct Procedure

What is fitness to practise?

The Fitness to Practise Procedure applies to you if you are registered on an award leading to professional registration, such as nursing, social work or education.  If you are on one of these courses you will also need to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service application.  The Fitness to Practise Procedure explains how the University will consider fairly and consistently any criminal convictions, or behaviour which may be below the expected standard.

Fitness to Practise Procedure

If you have any queries relating to the above procedures or you would like an update on the progress of an ongoing case, please email or contact the Regulations and Compliance Team.