The following are commonly accepted grounds for exceptional circumstances:
- Serious ill health
- Personal accident or injury of a significant nature
- Bereavement due to the loss of a close family member - a parent, grandparent, guardian, sibling, son, daughter, or a close personal friend. Claims relating to extended family members will not normally be accepted.
- Victim of crime
- Significant worsening of an on-going condition*
- Unforeseen transport difficulties which could not have been avoided
- Unforeseen work commitments, not applicable to full-time students
- Unexpected pregnancy complications
- Jury Service, only if your attendance is compulsory and cannot be deferred
- Adverse weather conditions (PDF, file size: 122KB) - Please click on the link for further information
*Please note you will need to provide evidence from your GP or the Accessability Team to confirm that you experienced a worsening of your disability or ongoing condition, leading up to, or at the time of your assessment.