Funding and Financial Support

Teacher Training Bursary

If you want to train as a Primary or Secondary teacher you may be entitled to a tax-free Teacher Training Bursary. For further information please visit the Get into Teaching website.

Exceptional Learning Support Fund

This fund is available to healthcare students who start a pre-registration course in England on or after 1st August 2017.
Studying at university can bring with it financial challenges. The Exceptional Support Fund (ESF) is available to eligible students experiencing severe and genuine financial difficulty during their studies who have exhausted all other means of funding. A grant of up to £3,000.00 per academic year will be available to help students who can show that there is a shortfall between their income and expenditure which they are unable to manage by their own actions. For further information and how to apply, please visit the Exceptional Support fund website.

Delayed Funding loan

The Delayed Funding loan is available to you if you are an undergraduate student and have not yet received your Student Finance Maintenance loan and require some financial support. This payment is a loan and must be re-paid to Staffordshire University. You can apply for either a £50 or £100 loan depending on if you have dependants or not. Only one application per week will be accepted. Applications will be rejected if you have already received your maintenance loan from Student Finance or you have an outstanding debt from a previous academic year. If you require support with your Student Finance application please email and a member of the Guidance team will be able to support you.

Delayed Funding Loan online application form 

Delayed Funding Loan paper application form 

 Please send completed paper application forms to 

Hardship Fund

The Staffordshire University Hardship Fund is available to attending students who are experiencing money troubles or have an unexpected emergency to deal with. The hardship Fund is discretionary, and cash limited so whether you get an award will depend on your individual circumstances and the availability of funds. The Hardship Fund should not be seen as a guaranteed source of income and not all applications will be awarded a payment.

Check the Hardship fund Guidance notes to see if you may be eligible for the Hardship Fund

If you think you are eligible for the Hardship fund and want to apply, please complete the online application form below and send all of the required supporting documents to or post the documents to Fees and Bursaries, Staffordshire University, Trent Building, Leek Road, ST4 2DF

Hardship Fund online application form

Student Experience Fund

The Staffordshire University Student Experience Fund has been set up to support students to participate in a wide range of activities both in the UK and overseas.

What Can I receive support for?

The great thing is that this is up to you! There are lots of possibilities; activities could include:

  • Participation in conferences
  • Attending exhibitions worldwide
  • Summer work camps
  • Research projects abroad
  • Volunteering
  • Cultural discovery trips
  • Language tuition abroad
  • University exchanges
  • Participation in competitions
  • Putting on and participation in live performances

How long can my experience last?

The length of your experience can depend on the type of activity you choose to do. For example, it can range from a 1-day conference to a whole summer volunteering.

How much will I be awarded?

All awards will depend on individual circumstances and the type of activity you choose to do and will not usually have to be repaid.

How do I apply?

If you have an experience in mind and would like to apply please complete the application form below and send all of the required supporting documents to or post the documents to Fees and Bursaries, Staffordshire University, Trent Building, Leek Road, ST4 2DF.

Application Form

Guidance Notes

Disabled Student’s Allowances (DSA’s)

Disabled Student’s Allowances (DSA’s) provide extra financial help for disabled students. You may get DSA’s if you have a disability, ongoing health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty like dyslexia.

Please see AccessAbility Services for further details about disability support and DSA’s.