Council Tax

Most properties in England will be required to pay council tax. This is an annual fee to pay for rubbish collections, the police and fire brigades.

Students are usually exempt from paying council tax – if everybody who rents is classed as a full time student (this includes students on placement – but NOT in SEGS/IGS/HSMP) or if you are a student and your husband/wife/child lives with you has a dependant visa. You can ask at the Information Points for a letter to confirm that you are a student. You must then send this to the local council so that you are not charged any council tax.