Student loans for undergraduates

Depending upon your family circumstances, a range of bursaries, scholarships, loans and grants could be available to help with the cost of study, accommodation and living costs.

Government loans

A tuition fee loan is available from the Government to cover the cost of your Higher Education tuition. It's available to eligible students studying for their first degree. This means that you don't have to find the money to pay for your tuition costs before or while you are studying, whether studying full-time or part-time.

(If you have had funding previously for studying at university, this may affect your eligibility for a loan.)

Loans to help with living costs

A living cost (maintenance) loan is also available from the Government to help you with other costs associated with going to university, things like accommodation, food, travel and course materials. The amount you can get is based on where you live and study, your household income and how much non-repayable grant (maintenance grant) you are entitled to.

The maximum amounts you can get for the 2017/18 academic year are:

If you are...Maximum amount
living at your parent's home£7,097
living away from home and studying outside London£8,430
living away from home and studying in London£11,002

Two-year accelerated degree students who study throughout the summer months may also be entitled to an additional 'long course loan' to cover their additional weeks of study. This too is dependent on household income and the maximum long course loan amounts you can get for the 2017/18 academic year are £59 per week if you live at your parent's home and £90 per week if you are living away from home.

Student finance at .