Visa and Immigration Advice

Student holding a book entitled 'Don't Panic'

Preparing for a Tier 4 Application


Please read the information below to prepare for your Tier 4 application. This guidance is relevant for students applying from the UK or from home. To understand your Tier 4 application you should read every chapter below:


1. Where, When and How (PDF, file size: 190.75KB)  

2. Immigration Health Surcharge (PDF, file size: 128.16KB)

3. Academic Evidence (PDF, file size: 134.39KB)

4. Financial Evidence (PDF, file size: 563.86KB)

5. Other Evidence (PDF, file size: 173.05KB)

6. Credibility Interview (PDF, file size: 162.53KB)

7. Dependants (PDF, file size: 228.01KB)

8. Recieving your new visa (PDF, file size: 259.93KB)

9. Your checklist (PDF, file size: 146.29KB)  


If you are applying from overseas, we have also written guidance to help you complete the application form:  

Overseas Visa Application Form Guide. (PDF, file size: 485.83KB)



Submitting Your Financial Evidence Documents

Please click here for step by step guides on what is required.


Inviting Friends and Family

If you want to invite your family or friends to visit you whilst you’re studying, then read our guidance  (PDF, file size: 181.7KB) to understand what visa they should apply for, common reasons why applicants might be refused, and what documents you should give them to help with their visa application.


Visiting the UK for Graduation

If you and/or your family need a visa to attend your graduation ceremony, then we have written guidance to help you understand what kind of visa you will need, what documents are required, and common reasons why applicants might be refused. Remember, if your visa expires before your graduation then you will need to return home and apply for a new Standard Visitor visa to come back to the UK for your ceremony. This is all explained in our guidance (PDF, file size: 175.09KB) .


Short Term Study Visa

Short Term Study Visa Letter Request

Short Term Study Visa Guide (PDF, file size: 742.23KB)


Schengen Visa

If you are not an EEA national and want to travel to Europe, you may be required to apply for a Schengen Visa. Read our information about Schengen Visas (PDF, file size: 146.49KB) .


Placement Compliance Check for Tier 4 Students

Please read the information and complete the online form here for a placement compliance check.


Police Registration Information

Read our police registration guidance (PDF, file size: 151.87KB) .


Preparing for your Return Home 

Click here (PDF, file size: 224.48KB) to read our help and guidence about what to once you have completed your studies at Staffordshire University.


This information will be updated as the immigration rules change, so please check back here to ensure you are reading the most up to date guidance (last updated 16.03.2017).




Contacting International Student Support


If you have any immigration queries, please contact us on - 

Queries from outside the UK:

Queries from inside the UK:

You can call us on +44 (0) 1782 29 (4711 / 4539 / 4639).

We are also available for Skype chat sessions on Monday 9:30 – 10:30, 3:30 – 4:30, Wednesday 9:30 – 10:30 or Friday 9:30 – 10:30 on iss.staffs



Useful Links


Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) - Link for visa extensions/currentstudentsonly. Please note that you will need to prove that you have sufficient funds before a CAS is issued


Doctorate Extension Scheme Guide (PDF, file size: 338.06KB) . If you are a PhD student, and you are interested in staying in the UK for 1 year after you have completed your PhD, then please read our guidance about the Doctorate Extension Scheme.


Staffordshire University Students' Union

UK Council of International Student Affairs