Increase productivity, change culture and improve leadership with Management Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (mKTPs).
Management Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (mKTPs) are a three-way partnership between a business, a Staffordshire University academic, and a recently qualified graduate. They offer businesses the ability to collaborate on adoption and adaption of expertise to bring about people-focused, strategic change to help your business succeed.
mKTPs can be in areas such as:
- Developing alternative business models and improving business agility
- Identifying new opportunities and revenue streams
- Embedding entrepreneurial thinking and ambidexterity
- Benchmarking and implementing best practice
- Scaling-up practices
- Managing organisational behaviour or cultural change
- Implementing continuity plans
- Implementing coaching and mentoring schemes
- Improving efficiency, business processes and productivity
- Embedding remote/hybrid working practices
- Analysing supply chains
- Enabling improved leadership, strategic thinking and decision making
- Improving process improvement and professionalisation
mKTPs span all key business functions including strategic management, human resources, marketing, IT, creativity, employment relations, finance and logistics.
Steps to success
The idea and introduction meeting
You have an innovative business idea or problem that you lack the resources or knowledge to progress any further. Contact the Staffordshire University Business Engagement team who will arrange a meeting when most convenient for you to complete a fact-finding form. This will help to further develop on your ideas and identify the potential to explore other untapped innovation opportunities for business growth.
Your university KTP lead will support you within completing the full project proposal. This will outline a comprehensive work plan, business case, key outputs, and deliverables. Your KTP lead is responsible for submitting the project proposal and will be reviewed by Innovate UK.
Within 8 to 12 weeks from submitting the project proposal, you will receive a notification from Innovate UK confirming whether your application has been approved. If successful, our support will continue for the duration of the project.
Recruit graduate KTP Associate
We will support the full process of recruiting your graduate KTP Associate. Our wrap-around support includes writing job specifications, promoting the role, shortlisting, interviewing, and managing payment.
You will have regular 1-2-1s with your academic lead throughout the duration of the KTP. You will have access to university R&D facilities and your graduate KTP Associate will be working for you full-time.
Gain access to funding from Innovate UK or other government co-funders
Eligible for Tax credits
This initiative enables you to to claim research and development tax credits
Access our facilities
Take advantage of our research and development facilities here on campus
Additional benefits of mKTPs:
- Expert academics support throughout the duration of the project
- Access to high-calibre Staffordshire University graduate with expertise in the relevant field of the project
- Graduate employee does not count towards your headcount
Who can apply?
mKTP projects can be accessed by a UK-based business of any size or a not-for-profit organisation (including social enterprises and charities).
Contact email@example.com or call 0800 169 2148 to discuss how a mKTP could impact your business with our dedicated team.
What is the cost?
mKTPs are part funded by a grant from Innovate UK or other government co-funders which you apply for in a competitive bid submission (bids have a success rate for applications of around 90%). You will have a dedicated university contact to support you through the application/bid process.
Typical contribution from the government are as follows:
- 67% of project costs for micro, small and medium-sized businesses
- 50% of project costs for large businesses
The remainder of the project cost is met by your company.
What to expect
Why choose Staffordshire University?
- We have a proven track record for over 30 years
- We have worked with over 70 companies on over 100 KTPs
- We have expertise in leadership, project management, human resources, organisation culture, entrepreneurship, business modelling and more
- We have secured £6 million of government funding
- We are flexible, it can be anything from 12 to 36 months
Employer Partnership Development Manager
I am a Business Development Manager in Knowledge Exchange and Enterprise. I support businesses, identifying training needs and academic pathways as part of our CPD offer.
Employer Partnerships Development Mgr
I work with businesses regionally and nationally, to understand their needs, and ensure they are suitably supported by Staffordshire University.
Ep Develop'Mt Mgr-K'Ledge Exchng E'Prise
In my current role as an Employer Partnerships Development Manager, I look after the business incubator and take the lead in several exciting innovation projects. I set up KTPs and have supported businesses with Innovate UK bids.
Want to know more about how we can support your business?
Get in touch with our Business Engagement team who can answer any questions you may have about our range of services.