I have many years' experiences of teacher education in FE and HE and have delivered programmes of study in a broad range of diverse learning environments. Previously, I have led and delivered programmes of study for a level 7 Transformational Learning programme delivered in Sub-Saharan, Africa. I continue to lead and/or deliver PhD/EdD, MA, PGCIE and MA (Eds) programmes of study in the UK and China within the Institute of Education. I currently supervise 11 UK and international doctoral students whose studies relate to an education discipline; 6 doctoral students have successfully completed. I am an experienced PhD/EdD internal/examiner
Professional memberships and activities
HEA Senior Fellow
British Foreign and Schools Society
Doctor of Education: Exploring trainees' learning experiences with an Initial Teacher Education award (Lifelong Learning Sector); EdD thesis, University of Nottingham
HNC Leadership and Management in Education
My current teaching commitments include delivery of modules, in China, relating to teacher development on a PGCIE programme and an MA level module relating to Education, Culture and Society in East Asia. I also teach on the Education Doctorate programme at the University and am principle and second supervisor for 14 doctoral students and 4 MA students. I have been involved in and observed the transitions of many students from their initial post compulsory learning experience to higher level learning experiences and career developments.
My research interests lie in transformational learning; particularly in cross-cultural international environments and formal and informal PCET settings. This interest stems from having worked in an FE and HE environments for about 22 years. I have, for the last 12 years travelled quite extensively to East Asia for teaching and quality assurance purposes; two research projects have emerged from this work; the latest relating to transformational learning and diffusion of practice of a western-centric in-service teacher training programme in a Chinese-centric context. I have been involved in more localised, qualitative research for the past 20 years. This includes researching the tensions and issues within teacher training and for trainee teachers in PCET; teachers within this sector are from diverse backgrounds and subject disciplines.
Machin, L., Hindmarch, D. Murray, S, Richardson (due Jan 2020) 3rd Edn, A Complete Guide to level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (F.E. and Skills Sector), Northwich, Critical Publishing
Hindmarch D, Hall F, Machin L, Murray S (2017) A Complete Guide to Educational Studies, Critical Publishing
Machin, L., Hindmarch, D. Murray, S, Richardson (2016) 2nd Edn, A Complete Guide to level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (F.E. and Skills Sector), Northwich, Critical Publishing
Machin, Hindmarch, Murray, Richardson, Hall. (2016) A Concise Guide to the Level 3 Award in Education and Training, Northwich, Critical Publishing.
Machin L (Ed)A Sign of the Times, Unlocking Scripture with Familiar Phrases, Durham, Sacristy Press
Machin, Hindmarch, Murray, Richardson, (2015) 2nd Edn., A Complete Guide to level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (F.E. and Skills Sector), Northwich, Critical Publishing.
Hall, Hindmarch, Hoy and Machin (2014) Supporting Learning and Teaching in Primary Education, Northwich, Critical Publishing
Machin L, Eds, (2015), A Sign of the Times (2015), Durham, Sacristy Press
Machin, Hindmarch, Murray, Richardson, (2013) A Complete Guide to level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (F.E. and Skills Sector), Northwich, Critical Publishing.
Machin, Hindmarch, Murray, Richardson, (2015) A Complete Guide to level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (F.E. and Skills Sector), Northwich, Critical Publishing.
Machin L (2009), Language and Literacy, Minimum Core, Audit and Test, Exeter, Learning Matters
- Machin L., Richardson T., & Ryan M. (in print) Delivery of a Western-centric PGCIE award in a Chinese-centric context. What constitutes good practice? Journal of Education for Teaching, International Research and Pedagogy, Vol 46_2, Taylor and Francis.
- Walmsley-Smith H., Machin L., Walton G. (2019) The E-Design Assessment Tool : an evidence-informed approach towards a consistent terminology for quantifying online distance learning activities ; Research in Learning Technology 2019, 27: 2106 - http://dx.doi.org/10.25304/rlt.v27.2106
Chapter in: Post Compulsory Teacher Educators; Connecting the Professionals, Crawley J. (2016), Northwich, Critical Publishing
LSIS (2013) Post Compulsory Education and Training; Support and Mentoring
Machin L., (2017) An Exploratory Case Study of the Transference of Skills and Dispositions Used by a Newly Qualified Teacher, University Council Teacher Educators, London
PAPERS PRESENTED AT INTERNATIONAL, UK CONFERENCES and WORKSHOPS
- Developing a Research Community within an overseas University partnership; (2019) Collaborate, Staffordshire University
- TELL (2019) Occular-centrism in teacher video evaluation; 20-20 vision or simply short sighted?
- Matej Bel, (2018), Erasmus, Learning as a language tool in an academic environment. Slovakia
- HEA Annual Conference (2018) Teaching in the Spotlight, Learning from Global Communities. Transformational learning and diffusion of practice. Is a western-centric in-service teacher training programme fit for purpose in a Chinese-centric context?
- ICET (2017) Co-Contributor, Teaching and Learning Research Symposium, Brno, Czech Republic
- Higher Education Conference (2016) An Exploratory Case Study of the Transference of Skills and Dispositions Used by a Newly Qualified Teacher, (Asia
- Paper Presentation: Durham Book Festival (Oct 2015) Putting Words into My Mouth, the Cultural Legacy of the King James Bible
- Paper presentation: How can the way we teach support the development of learners’ abilities to learn; Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussels, Belgium, (2015)