Dr Mohammad Moghimi-Ardekani
Associate Professor of Clean Energy Technologies
Since 2013 I have been actively involved in the design and optimisation of new technologies and devices in the fields of renewable energy (solar thermal technologies in particular), thermal energy storage, and multiphase-based (including nanofluid) heat sinks. In that regard, I have published 55 articles in top peer-reviewed journals and prestigious conference proceedings, one book, two book chapters and a webinar in collaboration with different research institutes and companies around the world including: Imperial College London (UK), The University of Edinburgh (UK), University of Nottingham (UK), DLR-institute of solar research (Germany), SOLASTOR (Australia), University of Clarkson (USA), National Technical University of Athens (Greece), University of Pretoria (South Africa) and etc. I actively contributed in proposal writing, securing research grants and technical management and delivery of over £1.7m funded projects in those fields with over £395k attributed to his institutions, in combined.
In addition to those academic experiences, I have gained more than 4 years of industrial experiences in designs and simulations of equipment in different plants (Solar thermal, Oil, Gas and Petrochemical plants). I was involved in different industrial projects and conducted various research projects for R&D departments of different international companies e.g. DLR-institute of solar research (Germany), SOLASTOR (Australia) and etc.
My scientific activities earned me the international Green Talent Award from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) which introduced me as top young scientist in Green Energy in 2015. My research activity rated me as Promising Young Researcher (Y2 rating) by National Research Foundation. I am in the editorial board and reviewer of 3 and 19 notable accredited journals, respectively.
For more information please see following profiles:
ORCID profile: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5966-1696
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=UnuVUh8AAAAJ&hl=en
Publon Profile: https://publons.com/researcher/1200129/mohammad-moghimi-ardekani/
Professional memberships and activities
Charted Engineer (CEng)
Member of Institution of Mechanical Engineers (MIMechE)
Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• PhD in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering Sub-field)
• MSc in Mechanical Engineering (Energy Conversion subfield)
• BSc in Mechanical Engineering (Thermo-fluid subfield)
• Solar Thermal technologies
• Thermal Energy storage
• Multiple-based heart sink
• Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulation
• Heat transfer
Advanced Computational Fluid Dynamics (In Person Learning-postgraduate- Level 7)
Computational Fluid Dynamics (In Person Learning-undergraduate- Level 6)
Fundamentals of Mechanics and ThermoFluids (In Person Learning-undergraduate-Level 4)
Engineering Science (In Person Learning-undergraduate-Level 3)
Mechanic of Fluids (Distance Learning) (Distance Learning-undergraduate-Level 4)
Journal papers (Published)
- Voulgaropoulos, V., Kadivar, M., Moghimi, M. A., Maher, M., Alawadi, H., Matar, O. K., & Markides, C. N. A combined experimental and computational study of phase-change dynamics and flow inside a sessile water droplet freezing due to interfacial heat transfer. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 180, 2021, 121803 (IF= 5.584).
- Sardari, P. T., Mahdi, J. M., Mohammed, H. I., Moghimi, M. A., Eisapour, A. H., & Ghalambaz, M., Consecutive charging and discharging of a PCM-based plate heat exchanger with zigzag configuration. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2021, 116970 (IF= 4.026).
- H. Nemati, M.A. Moghimi, J.P. Meyer, Shape optimisation of wavy mini-channel heat sink. International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 122, 2021, 105172 (IF=3.971).
- Nemati, H., M.A. Moghimi, Heat sink evolutionary optimization by natural construction method. Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, Vol. 80, 2021, 1-16 (IF=2.928).
- H. Nemati, M.A. Moghimi, R. Naemi, A mathematical model to investigate heat transfer in footwear during jogging. Journal of Thermal Biology, 2020, 102778 (IF=2.361).
- J. Dirker, M. Vermaak, J. Potgieter, M.A. Moghimi, P. Valluri, K. Sefiane, J.P. Meyer, Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Micro/Mini Channel Flow-Boiling Heat Transfer with Non-Uniform Circumferential Heat Fluxes at Different Rotational Orientations, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 158, 2020, 119948. (IF=4.346).
- H. Bazai, M.A. Moghimi, H. I.Mohammed, R. Babaei-Mahani, P. Talebizadehsardari, Numerical study of circular-elliptical double-pipe thermal energy storage systems, Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 30, 2020, 101440 (IF=3.517).
- P. TalebizadehSardari, R. Babaei-Mahani, D. Giddings, S.Yasseri, M.A. Moghimi, H. Bahai, Energy recovery from domestic radiators using a compact composite metal Foam/PCM latent heat storage, Journal of Cleaner Production, 2020, 120504 (IF= 6.395).
- H.Nemati, M.Moradaghay, M.A.Moghimi, J.P.Meyer, Natural convection heat transfer over horizontal annular elliptical finned tubes, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 118, 2020, 104823 (IF=3.971).
- P. Talebizadehsardari, H. Rahimzadeh, G. Ahmadi, K. Inthavong, M. M. Keshtkar, M.A. Moghimi, Nano-particle deposition in laminar annular pipe flows, Advanced Powder Technology, Vol. 31, 2020, 3134-3143 (IF=4.217).
- M. Yang, S. Wang, Y. Zhu, R.A. Taylor, M.A. Moghimi, Y. Wang, Thermal Stability and Performance Testing of Oil-based CuO Nanoﬂuids for Solar Thermal Applications, Energies, 2020, (IF=2.676).
- W. He, A. A. Barzinjy, S. Khanmohammadi, A. Shahsavar, M.A. Moghimi, M. Afrand, Multi-objective optimization of a photovoltaic thermal-compound sensible rotary heat exchanger system using exergo-economic and enviro-economic approaches, Journal of Environmental Management, Vol. 254, 2020, 109767 (IF=4.865).
- M. Yang, M.A. Moghimi, Y. Zhu, R. Qiao, Y. Wang, R. A. Taylor, Optical and thermal performance analysis of a micro parabolic trough collector for building integration, Applied Energy, Vol. 260, 2020, 114234 (IF= 8.426).
- H. Nemati, M.A. Moghimi, P. Sapin, C.N. Markides, Shape optimisation of four-row annular finned tube heat exchangers, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol.150, 2020, 106233 (IF= 3.488).
- H. Nemati, M. Moradagha, S.A. Shekoohi, M.A. Moghimi, J.P. Meyer, Natural convection heat transfer from horizontal annular finned tubes based on modified Rayleigh, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 110, 2020, 104370 (IF=4.127).
- F. Alamshahi, H. Rahimzadeh, R. Rafee, M.A. Moghimi, P. Talebizadehsardari, Effects of Roughness on the Performance of a threaded Zigzag Demister Using RSM and k−ω turbulent models, Sādhanā, Vol. 45, 2020, 1-14 (IF=0.849).
- M.R. Kadivar, M.A. Moghimi, P. Sapin, C.N. Markides, Annulus eccentricity optimization of a phase-change material horizontal double-pipe thermal energy store, Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 26, 2019, pp. 101030. (IF=3.517)
- E Bellos, C Tzivanidis, M.A. Moghimi, Reducing the optical end losses of a linear Fresnel reflector using novel techniques, Solar Energy, Vol. 186, 2019, pp. 247-256. (IF=4.674)
- P. Talebizadeh, H. Rahimzadeh, M. A. Moghimi, G. Ahmadi, K. Inthavong, M. Esapour, Nano-particle deposition in axisymmetric annular pipes with thread, Particulate Science And Technology, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/02726351.2019.1613705. (IF= 1.424)
- A. Al-Rashed, A. Shahsavar, S. Entezari, M.A. Moghimi, SA Adio, T. K. Nguyen, Numerical investigation of non-Newtonian water-CMC/CuO nanofluid flow in an offset strip-fin microchannel heat sink: thermal performance and thermodynamic considerations, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 155, 2019, pp. 247-258 (IF= 4.026)
- A. Al-Rashed, A. Shahsavar, O. Rasooli, M.A. Moghimi, A. Karimipourd, M. D. Tran, Numerical analysis of forced convection of biological silver-water nanofluid in a heat sink with wavy cooling channels, International Communication in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 104, 2019, pp. 118-126 (IF= 4.127)
- M.A. Moghimi, G. Ahmadi, Wind barriers optimization for minimizing collector mirror soling in a parabolic trough collector plant, Applied energy, Vol. 225, 2018, pp. 413-423. (IF=8.426)
- M.A. Moghimi, K.J. Craig, J.P. Meyer, Simulation-based optimisation of a Linear Fresnel Collector mirror field and receiver for optical, thermal and economic performance, Solar Energy, Vol. 153, 2017, pp. 655-678. (IF=4.674)
- K.J. Craig, M.A. Moghimi, A.E. Rungasamy, J. Marsberg, J.P. Meyer , Finite-volume ray tracing using Computational Fluid Dynamics in linear focus CSP applications, Applied Energy, Vol. 183, 2016, pp. 241-256. (IF=8.426)
- M.A. Moghimi, K.J. Craig, J.P. Meyer, Optimization of a trapezoidal cavity absorber for the Linear Fresnel Reflector, Solar Energy, Vol. 119, 2015, pp. 343-361. (IF=4.674)
- M.A. Moghimi, K.J. Craig, J.P. Meyer, A Novel Computational Approach to Combine the Optical and Thermal Modelling of Linear Fresnel Collectors using the Finite Volume Method, Solar Energy, Vol. 116, 2015, pp. 407-427. (IF=4.674)
- M.A. Moghimi, H. Tabaei, A. Kimiaeifar, HAM and DQM solution for slip flow over a flat plate in presence of constant heat flux, Mathematical and computer modeling, Vol. 58, 2013, pp. 1704-1713.
- Hossain Nemati, Mohammad Moghimi, Numerical Study of Flow Over Annular-Finned Tube Heat Exchangers by Different Turbulent Models, CFD Letters, Vol. 6, 2014, pp. 100-112.
- S. A. Gandjalikhan Nassab, A. Shahsavar, M.A. Moghimi, Analysis of Combined Conduction and Radiation Heat Transfer in a Rectangular Furnace Including Two Flames, International Journal of Engineering Transection A: Basic, Vol. 25, 2012, pp. 65-70. (IF=1.0986)
- P. Malekzadeh, M.A. Moghimi, M. Nickaeen, The radiation and variable viscosity effects on electrically conducting fluid over a vertically moving plate subjected to suction and heat flux, Energy & Conversion management, Vol. 52, 2011, pp.2040-2047. (IF=7.181)
- P. Talebizadeh, M.A. Moghimi, A. Kimiaeifar, M. Ameri, Numerical and analytical solution for natural convection flow with thermal radiation and mass transfer past a moving vertical porous plate by DQM and HAM, International Journal of Computational Methods, Vol. 8, 2011, pp. 611-631. (IF=1.221)
- M.A. Moghimi, P. Talebizadeh, M. A. Mehrabian, Heat generation/absorption effects on magnetohydrodynamic natural convection flow over a sphere in a non-Darcian porous medium, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part E, Journal of Process Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 225, 2011, pp. 29-39. (IF=1.126)
- H. Tabaei, MA. Moghimi, A. Kimiaeifar, M.A. Moghimi, Homotopy analysis and differential quadrature solution of the problem of free-convective magnetohydrodynamic flow over a stretching sheet with the Hall effect and mass transfer taken into account, Journal of Applied Mechanics and Technical Physics, Vol. 52, 2011, pp. 624-636. (IF=0.555)
- M.A. Moghimi, A. Kimiaeifar, M. Rahimpour, G.H. Bagheri, Analytical solution for Marangoni Mixed Convection Boundary Layer Flow, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, Vol. 224, 2010, pp.1193-1202. (IF=1.359)
- M. A. Moghimi, M. Ameri, Numerical Solution of Transient Free Convection Using DQ-IDQ Method, Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering, Vol. 30, 2011, no. 1. (In Persian)
- K. J. Craig, M. A. Moghimi, J. Marsberg, Optimization of solar Cavity receivers using ANSYS Software, WEBINAR of Innovation in Metallurgy and Solar Power via CFD, ANSYS WEBINAR. (Download Link: http://resource.ansys.com/Resource+Library/Webinars/Innovation+in+Metallurgy+and+Solar+Power+via+CFD+-+Webinar
- J Potgieter, M.A. Moghimi, P Valluri, J P Meyer, Effect of Non-Uniform Circumferential Heat Fluxes and Orientation on Flow Boiling in Microchannels – A Numerical Investigation, IUTAM Symposium 2019 on computational modelling of instabilities and turbulence in separated two-phase flows, Dublin, Ireland.
- OG Otukpa, M.A. Moghimi, S. Bhattacharyya, G. Ahmadi, A. C. Benim, Numerical analysis of porous wind barrier for minimizing collector mirror soiling in a parabolic trough collector plant, IHMTC 2019, Roorkee, India.
- M.A. Moghimi, G. Ahmadi, M. Yang, G.P. Meyer, Minimizing soiling of a PTC plant by an optimum wind barrier design, SolarPACES 2018, Casablanca, Moracoo.
- M.M. Joybari, S.Seddegh, M.A. Moghimi, Latent heat thermal energy storage systems: Design Considerations, SolarPACES 2018, Casablanca, Moracoo.
- S. Soltani, M.A. Moghimi, M. Bonyadi and V. Madadi Avarangi, Comprehensive study of a parabolic solar dish collector in Isfahan, Iran, SolarPACES 2017, Santiago, Chile.
- M.A. Moghimi, K. J Craig, J. P. Meyer, Annual performance optimization of a Linear Fresnel Collector in Pretoria, South Africa, SolarPACES 2017, Santiago, Chile.
- M.A. Moghimi, K. J Craig, J. P. Meyer, Combined thermal, optical and economic optimization of a Linear Fresnel Collector, SolarPACES 2016, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emiratis.
- M.A. Moghimi, K. J Craig, J. P. Meyer, Optimization of insulation of a Linear Fresnel Collector, SolarPACES 2016, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emiratis.
- M. A. Moghimi, A. Rungasamy, K. J. Craig, J. P. Meyer, Introducing CFD in the Optical Simulation of Linear Fresnel Collectors, SolarPACES 2015, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Mohammad Moghimi Ardekani, Ken J Craig, Josua P. Meyer, Three-dimensional CFD Modeling of a Trapezoidal Cavity Receiver of a Linear Fresnel Reflector, Solarpaces 2014, Beijing, China. (accepted as poster)
- M.R. Golbahar Haghighi, M. A. Moghimi, H. Tabaei, Heat Generation or Absorption Effects on Transient MHD Natural Convection Flow Over a Sphere, ICARAME 2011, Beirut, Lebanon.
- M. A. Moghimi, M. M. Ameri, DQ-IDQ Solution of Variable Viscosity and Thermal Conductivity Effects on Transient Natural Convection Over a Sphere, HEFAT 2010, Anytalya, Turkey.
- Karimi, A.R. Akhgar, H. Hosseini and M.A. Moghimi, Energy and exergy analysis of gas turbine cycle by using fog system, HEFAT 2010, Anytalya, Turkey.
- C. Siakachoma, M. A. Moghimi, M. Sharifpur and J. P. Meyer, Direct Normal Irradiance Prediction for South Africa Using Clearness Number Contour Maps, SASEC 2018, Durban, South Africa.
- M.A. Moghimi, K. J Craig, J. P. Meyer, Optimization of fixed focal length for Linear Fresnel Collector, SASEC 2016, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- M.A. Moghimi, K. J Craig, J. P. Meyer, A Novel Computational Approach to the Combine Optical And Thermal Modeling Of A Linear Fresnel Collector Receiver, SASEC 2015, Kruger park, South Africa.
- Mohammad Moghimi Ardekani, Ken J Craig, Josua P. Meyer, Response Surface Method Optimization of Cavity Absorber of a Linear Fresnel Reflector, SASEC 2014, Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- H. Nemmati, M. A. Moghimi, Numerical modeling of fluid flow and heat transfer over a serrated bundle of air cooler, 4th national conference on heat exchanger application in oil and gas industry, 2012, Tehran, Iran. (In Persian)
- S. Soleimannia, M.R. Gobahar Haghighi, M.A. Moghimi, A. Moghimi, DQ Solution of natural convection flow over an isothermal body embedded in Non-Darcian porous medium with variable viscosity, FD 2010, Shiraz, Iran.
- M. A. Moghimi, M. M. Ameri, Variable viscosity and thermal conductivity effects of MHD free convection flow from a sphere with heat generation, ISME 2010, Tehran, Iran.
- M. A. Moghimi, M. Rahimpour, A. Kimiaeifar, M. M. Ameri, G. H. Bagheri, Comparing Numerical Method with Homotopy Analysis Method (HAM) for Marangoni Boundary Layer, ISME 2009, Tehran, Iran.
- Ken J Craig, Mohammad Moghimi Ardekani, Justin Marsberg, Optimisation of solar cavity receivers using ANSYS, ANSYS Convergence - 2014 South African ANSYS Conference, Pretoria, South Africa.
- H. Nemati, A. Mahootchi, M. A. Moghimi, Fundementals of Heat Exchangers: Selection, Design, Construction and Operation, 2017, Islamic Azad University Press, Iran. (In Persian)
- G. Otukpa, M.A. Moghimi, G. Ahmadi, J. Meyer, A Review of Conventional and Sustainable Mirror Cleaning Technologies in Parabolic Trough Collector (PTC) Plants, Parabolic Trough: Design and Application, 2020, Nova Science Publishing. (accepted)
- S. Bhattacharyya, D. Vishwakarma, S. Roy, R. Biswas, M. A. Moghimi, Application of Heat Transfer: A State-of-the-Art Review, Inverse Heat Conduction and Heat Exchangers, 2020, IntechOpen. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.92873