I began my career as a PE teacher and taught PE in both primary and secondary schools. My passion surrounding PE and sport led me to complete a MA in Sport and Society and then to pursue a PhD in Sport Sociology. I am in my final year of my PhD and after completion, I wish to continue conducting further PE and sport specific research.
In 2017, I started teaching in higher education where I taught at the University of Brighton and Buckinghamshire New University. During my time at these universities, I taught on Education, PE, and Sport courses. In June 2021, I was delighted to become a member of staff in the Institute of Education at Staffordshire University. I am now the Course Leader of the PGCE Secondary Physical Education course, and I also teach on the PGCE Primary with PE as a Specialism course.
Professional memberships and activities
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member: Association for Physical Education
- PhD in Sport Sociology (final year), University of Brighton
- MA in Sport and Society, University of Winchester
- BA (Hons) Physical Education with QTS, University of Brighton
- LGBTQ+ inclusivity in PE and Sport
- PE curriculum designs
- Alternative activities in PE
- Gender in PE
House, R., Jarvis, N., & Burdsey, D. (2021). Representation Matters: Progressing Research in Plurisexuality and Bisexuality in Sport. Journal of Homosexuality, 1-21. DOI: 10.1080/00918369.2021.1913916
House, R. (2017). Sexual abuse in sport: a qualitative case study. Psychology & Sexuality, 8(4), 356-359, DOI: 10.1080/19419899.2017.1397538