Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2x Skip to content Skip to search

Carrying cash

We recommend that you do not carry large sums of money to the UK. There is a risk of it being stolen or misplaced whilst you are travelling.

Bring no more that £500-£700 in cash, and use smaller denominations such as £10 and £20 notes. 

If you are in private accommodation, please make sure you have enough money for your deposit and your first months rent.

Declaring money in the UK

If you are a EEA/EU student bringing cash into the UK, you do not need to declare it.

You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country.

Cash includes notes and coins, bankers’ drafts, and cheques of any kind (including travellers’ cheques). If you’re travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000.

Opening a bank account in the UK

To open a bank account you must be studying in the UK for over 6 months and have a valid UK address.

Once you have fully enrolled and paid your 50% fees to the university, we can provide you with a supporting letter to open a bank account.

We recommend that you research local banks as you will need to know which bank you would like to open an account with before the letter is issued. Each bank has its own requirements and so it is essential to check the details of the bank to know what is required from you and acceptable.

Paying your tuition fees when you arrive

You will need to pay 50% of your tuition fees in order to complete your enrolment at the university.

Please make sure you have sufficient funds to pay this when you arrive.

If it is possible to pay your whole tuition fee at once on or before arrival, it can save worrying, and makes enrolling easier. Furthermore you may also be entitled to a £300 early payment discount.

Different money transfer methods

1. Debit/Credit Card from your home country

If you have a Visa, Maestro, or MasterCard you may be able to use that at an ATM in the UK to withdraw cash. This can be very expensive though, so please check with your local bank for details of charges.

2. Western Union

If you use Western Union, the money usually transfers in minutes. There are many Western Union outlets including at airports.

3. Travellers Cheques / Travellers Cheque Card

This is a safe and convenient way of transferring money as it can be replaced if lost or stolen, unlike cash. You can exchange these cheques in any bank/post office/bureau de change for a small fee. If you have the card you can use it as ATMs and in many stores like a debit card. It is more convenient if your travellers cheque is in British Sterling.

4. Bankers draft/Cashiers cheque

You can buy one of these at your local bank. Make sure it is British Sterling for convenience. It clears quickly and will be paid into your UK bank account directly once you have opened one. If you buy it in another currency it may take up to 4 weeks and you may incur a charge.

5. Telegraphic Bank to Bank Transfer

Very safe mode of transfer, but takes up to 3-5 working days to reach your account. You need a UK bank account to use this method. You will need to communicate with your local bank to make the necessary transfer. You need an IBAN or BIC number from you UK bank.

6. Personal Cheque

You can bring a personal cheque from home to pay into your UK bank account. However this can take up to 4 - 6 weeks before the money can be cleared and withdrawn. This option is not recommended if you are relying on it for your 50% tuition fee or day to day expenses on arrival.

7. TransferWise

A very safe and reliable international transfer system, and it normally offers much lower fees and better exchange rates than banks. Visit for more details.