I am a doctorate in Virtual Reality and my teaching career started in India 10 years ago when I trained students and interns, while working as a video game character and environmental artist in an SME after completing my Bachelor of Technology. In 2014, I pursued higher studies at University of Bedfordshire where I took up VR as my primary field and upskilled myself through a research master’s and a Ph.D. while simultaneously working on internships in R&Ds across Bedfordshire. Since then, I have been actively conducting research and exploring immersive XR hardware and software. In addition to this, I have also published a Cricket Game based on my doctoral thesis findings as an independent game producer. It is the first ever game to have a full body motion capture for real-time avatar by adding Kinect to the PC Virtual Reality experience. I resumed my teaching career as an Associate Lecturer at various colleges and universities in Bedfordshire during my Ph.D., teaching Games Art/Tech, XR, VFX and other related courses. Following the successful completion of my doctoral studies, I was invited to lecture at Staffordshire University. I teach game art and games technology to undergraduate students, and I am supervising a PhD candidate now. I am also continuing my research in the direction of Simulating Sports and Serious Games. As an educator, I use my experience in teaching and research to foster an engaging environment where our students can develop various skills required to succeed in their career.
Professional memberships and activities
- Awaiting to be recognised as a Teaching Fellow
- PhD “Improving the Immersion in a Virtual Reality Batting Simulator with Real-time Performance Capture and Haptics”, University of Bedfordshire.
- MSc Research “A Study on Virtual Reality and developing the experience in a gaming simulation”, University of Bedfordshire.
- Bachelor of Technology - Information Technology, Pondicherry University. Diploma in Animation, Emagic Animation Academy.
- On Going: Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education, Staffordshire University.
- Virtual Reality
- Sports Simulation
- Computer Games Design
- Virtual and Immersive Worlds
- Action Sports for Esports Metaverse and Serious Games
Enterprise and commercial interests
Interested to build commercial games and serious simulation.
Introductory module for Game Art and Immersive Tech related courses for Games Tech
- Improving the immersion in a virtual reality batting simulator with real-time performance capture and haptics L Jayaraj, University of Bedfordshire
- A study on virtual reality and developing the experience in a gaming simulation L Jayaraj, University of Bedfordshire
- Jayaraj, L., Wood, J. and Gibson, M. (2017) ‘Improving the Immersion in Virtual Reality with Real-Time Avatar and Haptic Feedback in a Cricket Simulation’, Adjunct Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, ISMAR-Adjunct 2017, pp. 310–314. doi: 10.1109/ISMAR-Adjunct.2017.95.
- Jayaraj, L., Wood, J. and Gibson, M. (2018) ‘Engineering a Mobile VR Experience with MEMS 9DOF Motion Controller’, in 2018 IEEE Games, Entertainment, Media Conference, GEM 2018. doi: 10.1109/GEM.2018.8516496.