Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2x Skip to content Skip to search

Frequently asked questions about accommodation

Moving to student accommodation is a big deal and we know you’ll have lots of questions before and after you arrive. Please see answers to the most frequently asked questions from our students.  

Once you arrive at your accommodation, your ResLife Coordinator (RLC) will introduce themselves to you and they'll be happy to help with any questions or issues you may have. If you have a question that isn't answered here and your ResLife Coordinator is unavailable, you can contact the Residence Life team directly.

Applying for accommodation

How do I apply for accommodation?

First, you’ll need to register on the ResLife accommodation portal website. For full instructions, please see our how to apply guidance.

When can I apply?

You can apply for accommodation once you've formally accepted your course offer through either UCAS or the University, allowing 48 hours for your acceptance to be processed. It’s a good idea to apply as soon as possible as we allocate on a first-come, first-served basis.

Who can apply?

You can apply for accommodation if you've selected Staffordshire University as either your firm or insurance choice University via UCAS and have your Student ID number.

What about returning students?

We're currently not accepting applications for returning students. If you are a returning student, we recommend you consult our guidance on private accommodation.

Can I apply for accommodation if Staffordshire University is my insurance choice?

Yes, you can apply. However, priority is given to students who have us as their first choice.


Your accommodation offer

When will I receive my offer?

We work through applications in date order from when we receive them. As you can imagine, there are a lot of applications so this process can take some time. Sit tight, we'll get back to you as soon as we can. We'll only send you an offer when your application to the University is unconditional and we’re your first choice. This means that if you've got exam results to wait for, it'll be after you receive them.

Am I guaranteed my first preference of accommodation?

No, that's why we ask you to rank your options. Your application preferences are subject to availability, but we'll try our best to offer you the accommodation you want. Apply as soon as possible for a better chance.

When will I find out what room I'm in?

We’ll let you know your room upon arrival. When accepting your offer, you’ll be shown the type of room, but not the room number. This is because it is often necessary to adjust your room allocation before you arrive.

Can I have a copy of my Licence Agreement?

The most recent copy of your Licence Agreement is publicly available so that you can review if before applying. This is a legally binding contract, so please read it fully and carefully.



When do I pay my rent?

Depending on which payment option you chose, you will either pay it all at once when you accept your offer or in instalments throughout the academic year. If you chose instalment, you'll pay a £250 pre-payment of rent to accept your offer. You'll pay the remaining balance over three instalments - it'll all be broken down for you when you accept your offer. We time these payments to coincide with when student finance payments are made.

I'm coming to the University for one semester. How do I pay my rent?

You'll have to pay the full cost of your accommodation at the time of accepting your offer.

Can I change the card details used to make the payment?

Yes, you can change your card details with the Finance Department. Please fill in this form to change your accommodation payment details. This requires a payment of £20 from the new card but don’t worry, this is taken off your next instalment, so you don’t pay any more.



When is move-in day?

Your move-in day is specified when you apply for accommodation. The start date of your licence period is the earliest date you may move into your room.

What will I need when I arrive?

You'll need your booking confirmation (given to you when you complete check-in) and ID. You'll also need your belongings and personal items.

Can I arrive early?

It's very rare that we can offer early move-in. However, if you have an exceptional reason why you want to move in early, let us know when and why during the induction process. We'll then be able to let you know if we have early availability.

Can I arrive late?

Yes, you can arrive late but you'll still be charged from the date your contract starts. Please let us know during your induction when you're planning on arriving.

Can I bring my car?

Due to very limited parking availability, there are parking restrictions on campus and a permit scheme will be in operation after the start of term. Students living on-campus are within walking distance of studies and are therefore encouraged to use public transport for other travel needs.

Students will be able to apply for a limited number of permits for exceptional circumstances for example blue badge, accessibility requirements fir reasonable adjustments or other essential (e.g. placement) related travel. The launch of the permit application scheme will commence after the initial start of term when the majority of students have enrolled

College Court

There is not parking offered on the premises of this hall which is operated by University partner accommodation provider. The hall is within an easy walk or cycle to campus.

Stafford Court

Our partner provider has parking at these halls subject to availability. The hall is within an easy walk or cycle to campus.

Leek Road Halls, Leek Road Houses and Clarice Cliff

Students may bring their cars for the start of term and will need to apply for a permit when applications open.


Living here

Who’s my ResLife Coordinator (RLC)?

Your RLC will introduce themselves to you when you move in. They’re here for anything you need during your stay with us.

Will my belongings be insured?

Yes, you're covered under our block insurance policy up to £5,000. Full details our block insurance policy can be found on the Cover4Insurance website.

How do I get post delivered?

Our Leek Road houses and Tedder Court have post delivered directly. For Clarice Cliff Court and Leek Road halls post is sorted at our post rooms and available for collection at our ResLife Hubs. At College Court post can be collected from reception.

What is the internet access like?

Internet Services in our on-campus Stoke-on-Trent accommodation is provided by Glide. This means you get access to 30MBps internet included in your rent. College Court internet services are supplied by ASK4.

Where can I do my laundry?

We have laundry facilities at Leek Road in Bush House, Clarice Cliff Court, and at College Court. Tedder Court have washing facilities in each house.

Will I be able to have guest/visitors?

You may receive visitors/guests within your accommodation at reasonable times. You’ll be responsible for their behaviour and for any damage or disturbance they may cause to the University property or to other residents. Please see your Licence Agreement for more information. Overnight guests must be signed in at the ResLife Hub. Your visitor will be issued with a visitor pass which they must keep with them and show when requested.


My room

What if I don't like my room?

We open applications to change rooms after Welcome Week is over. So don't worry, come and speak to us. Unfortunately, we can't change your room before you arrive.

Will I need a TV License?

Maybe. It depends how you watch TV. Visit the TV Licensing website for more information. We take care of the TV Licence for the TVs we provide in communal areas, so you don't need to worry about that.

Can I have a fridge in my room?

Yes. Just make sure you let us know and you take responsibility if it leaks.

Do you supply bedding and kitchen utensils?

We don't, however you can purchase bedding or kitchen utensils through Chaffinch Student. Chaffinch are a local company and we work together to make sure what you buy is in your room when you arrive.


Reporting issues

I’m not getting on with my flatmates.

Speak to your ResLife Coordinator and they’ll help the best they can.

My flatmate is keeping me up at night and I can’t sleep.

If it becomes a regular thing, speak to your RLC. When you’re disturbed, call 01782 294221 and our 24-hour team will be happy to help you out.

What do I do if I have a maintenance issue in my room?

Please let us know about it – email ResLife at or call 01782 294221.

I’ve been charged for cleaning, what’s that about?

If the communal areas in your flat aren’t meeting health and safety standards, we’ll let you know that they need cleaning and by when. If it isn’t done, our staff will clean the area and the charge is passed on to the flat.

I’ve lost my key. What do I do?

If you have lost your key, let us know as soon as possible. This is because the security of the whole flat is at risk. Normally we’ll change your room lock and pass the cost to you. If you’ve not got your key but know where it is, let us know and we’ll try to help.