As a Senior Lecturer in film production and multi-disciplinary creative practitioner, Colin has told stories with sound and images for over 20 years. Colin's multi-disciplinary expertise is built from thousands of professional filmmaking practice and teaching and learning delivery.
Colin's broad expertise means that he can either work within a production team or independently write, produce, direct, shoot, edit and distribute creative content. Producing over 500 commissions has presented Colin with unique experiences; these combined have shaped his expertise and enabled him to overcome many organisational, technical, and creative challenges. Commissioned by some of the world's best-known brands, Colin has created content across the globe for companies such as Shell, Airbus, GlaxoSmithKline, Nestlé, Hilton Worldwide Resorts, Honda, Mitchel's & Butlers, NHS, BBC, RNLI, Salon System, and Alton Towers Resort, to name a few.
Colin provides independent and impartial advice to the London Film Academy and provides informed comment on the standards set and student achievement in relation to those standards. Through his role as External Examiner, he advises on proposed amendments to the programme and advises on curriculum development and design to ensure currency, relevance, and coherence of curricular material. Daisy Gill, Joint Principal when talking about Colin's involvement with the London Film Academy, commented "Colin is an excellent EE for our BA Filmmaking Course. He completely understood what we were trying to achieve as a course, and his feedback was considered, enabling and impactful. We found it a really positive experience. The student experience and the course as a whole have improved as a result".
A Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Association (HEA), Colin uses his research and professional practice to inform his learning and teaching. Focused on creating an effective environment for students to learn, Colin uses a learner-centred approach to motivate and inspire his students.
Professional memberships and activities
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- International Moving Image Society
- Royal Television Society
- National Association of Higher Education in Moving Image
- Guild of Television Camera Professionals
- APA Academic Professional Apprenticeship | Institute for Apprenticeships & Technical Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education | Distinction | Staffordshire University.
- BA(Hons) Media Production | 1st Class | Staffordshire University
- Short Fiction Films, Creative Non-Fiction/Documentary filmmaking and, Sports /Adventure Filmmaking
- Commercial, Advertising, Branded Content and Client Filmmaking. Creativity, story structure and ideas development
- Film business setup and growth
- Producing, Directing and Production Processes
- Short film awards, film festivals, screenings, marketing, and publicity
- Innovative approaches to learning and teaching within the field of filmmaking.
- Filmmaking as an educational mode
- Short film cultures
- Ideation and project validation
- Reflective practice within the filmmaking process
- Film Production Processes
- Fiction Film Production
- Non-fiction Film Production
- Directing and Producing
- Client Filmmaking
- Creative Career Planning and Portfolios
The Photographer's Eye - Complete Book and DVD Course (2013) [DVD] Created by C Mottram, K Plaskitt, M Freeman UK: ILEX Press
The Moviemaking With Your Camera Field Guide, (2012) Technical Advisor and Image Caption by C Mottram. Ilex Press, London/USA
Interactive Fender Bible, (2007) [DVD] Created by C Mottram, K. Plaskitt. Jawbone Press
Interactive Gibson Bible, (2008) [DVD] Created by C Mottram, K. Plaskitt. Jawbone Press
‘Who owns the frame?’ Teaching Cinematography Conference (2017) HFF Film School, Munich. [Conferences Session Panel]