KTP is a three-way partnership between a business, Staffordshire University, and a recently qualified graduate.
KTP is a three-way partnership between a business, Staffordshire University, and a recently qualified graduate, known as the associate. It offers a company the chance to collaborate on a business opportunity, idea or innovation and supports companies to drive innovation through the development of new digital products, processes and services.
The main objectives of a KTP are to:
- Stimulate business and university collaborations
- Help companies develop new innovative products and solutions
- Bottom line growth as a result of innovation
- Help businesses access university knowledge at a reasonable cost
Who can apply?
KTP projects can be accessed by a UK-based business of any size or a not-for-profit organisation (including social enterprises and charities)
What to expect
- Up to 67% funded depending on the size of your business
Part of the cost of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership is funded by a grant from Innovate UK or other government co-funders that you apply for in a competitive bid for submissions (there is a success rate for applications of around 90%). The remainder of the project cost is met through a cash payment by your company.
Project costs are variable, but can typically be around £75,000 – £90,000 per project year. For SMEs the grant rate is 67% of the project cost and for large companies 50%.
- KTPs have a genuine, tangible impact on businesses including improved profits, new jobs creation and access to new markets
The average project with us yields an increase in annual pre-tax profits of £260k (based on an average SME contribution of £51k towards project costs).
As well as profit, a project generally sees the creation of two more jobs (not including the recruited graduate) and the training of around 20 staff. It also helps you develop innovative solutions to problems and access experts who can help propel your business forward.
- Access high-calibre graduates
Why choose Staffordshire University?
- We have a proven track record for over 30 years
- We’ve worked with over 70 companies on over 100 KTPs
- We’ve secured £6 million of Government funding
- A KTP with us gives you access to a university expert once a week and gives you a qualified graduate to work in your business
- It’s flexible, it can be anything from 6 months to 36 months
- You won’t want our graduates to leave – 97% are employed full-time at the end of the project
Asso Dean: Employer Ptn'S & Enterprise
Employer Partnership Development Manager
I am a Business Development Manager in Knowledge Exchange and Enterprise. I support businesses, identifying training needs and academic pathways as part of our CPD offer.
Employer Partnerships Development Mgr
I work with businesses regionally and nationally, to understand their needs, and ensure they are suitably supported by Staffordshire University.
Ep Develop'Mt Mgr-K'Ledge Exchng E'Prise
In my current role as an Employer Partnerships Development Manager, I look after the business incubator and take the lead in several exciting innovation projects. I set up KTPs and have supported businesses with Innovate UK bids.