Dr Soliman has a multi-disciplinary academic/research experience in digital signal processing, telecommunications, data acquisition systems, wireless sensor networks (WSN) and image/video processing. In addition to his research activities, he is involved in several enterprise projects and consultancy activities for national and international companies. He is actively seeking funds and support for the research activities in his areas of research interest by determining the appropriate funds and applying to these funds through various funding organisations. Now, he is leading and involved in several European funded projects.
Professional memberships and activities
Member of IEEE
Member of IET
- PhD in Image Processing.
- MSc in Information Systems and Data Acquisition Systems.
- BEng (Hons) Distinction with first-class honour in Electronics and Communications.
- PGC in Research Supervision.
- PGC in Research Methods.
Teaching in areas of Electronics, Telecommunications and Computer Engineering.
PhD, MSc, MEng and BEng(Hons) dissertation supervision.
Co-founder of ICentrica Ltd (spin-out Company).
Building international and national partnerships/collaborations.
Post graduate and undergraduate Student recruitment.
Projects bid writing, coordinating and managing.
Currently Dr. Soliman is leading and involved in several European funded projects such as:
- Clean Energy and Research in Environmental Studies (CERES) – TEMPUS.
- Program for Excellence Academy Cooperation Exchange (PEACE) - Erasmus Mundus.
- Water Enhanced Resource Planning (WatERP) - Seventh Framework Programme -FP7.
- Program for Excellence Academy Cooperation Exchange II (PEACE II) - Erasmus Mundus.
He is also involved in some collaborative projects with research/educational organisations in North Africa/Middle East, towards extending the university profile in international research collaborations.
He coordinates and provides training courses and consultancy for national and international companies, International Oil Companies funded by VIBA Ltd, AGIP Ltd, WAHA Ltd, AZZAWIA Ltd, SIRTE Ltd, RASCO Ltd.
Selected consultancies and industrial project reports:
- Mobile & Wireless Technology: A Review of SME Adoption & Diversification in the West Midlands, The West Midlands ICT Cluster, 2009.
- Energy Saver: Main Processing Unit Design & Cost Estimation for Proof of Concept System, Consultancy Report, Staffordshire University, UK, 2009.
- OCR-Based: Automatic Recognition of ISO Container Code Marking, Advantage West Midlands, Innovation Delivers Expansion Scheme, Universal Systems Ltd, UK, 2009.
- Design an Indoor Mobile Navigation and Interpretation System, Research and Knowledge Transfer Services, Higher Education Innovation Fund, UK, 2008.
- Investigating The Use of Machine Vision Techniques for High Speed Production Line Inspection, Advantage West Midlands, Innovation Delivers Expansion Scheme, Sturge Industries Ltd, UK, 2008.
- Design A Machine Vision System for High Speed Production Lines inspection, Advantage West Midlands, Innovation Delivers Expansion Scheme, Sturge Industries Ltd, UK, 2008.
- Barcode/OCR/RFID Airport Luggage Identification System, Advantage West Midlands, Innovation Delivers Expansion Scheme, Direct Radio Response Ltd, UK, 2008.
- Design A Wireless RFID System (Indoor/Outdoor) for Blind People, Advantage West Midlands, Innovation Delivers Expansion Scheme, Technology Shop Ltd, UK, 2007.
Dr. Soliman believes in integration between Academia (research) and industry, and the research activities should reflect on the community. Currently, his research is focusing on the area of Automation, including Smart Cities, Building automation, Energy management, Security, Safety and health applications. In addition to:
- Fibre Optic Communication Systems.
- Data acquisition Systems and Internet of Things.
- Digital signal processing.
- Image and video processing.
- Prashanthi Govindarajan, Abdel-Hamid Soliman, Mohammad Patwary and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “A Unified Framework to Measure Sparsity for Uncorrelated Random Signal”, Elsevier Signal processing [Under Review].
- Muhammad Kamran Naeem, Mohammad N Patwary, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, Abdel-Hamid Soliman , “Receiver Performance Lower Bound for MIMO Wireless Communication Systems”, IEEE Wireless Communications Letters. [Under Review].
- Sireesha Appana, Mohammad N Patwary, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, Abdel-Hamid Soliman, “Diversity Block Code: A Trade off for Multiplexing and diversity gains for power constraint MIMO receiver”, IET Electronic Letter [Under Review].
- Siti Mohd Zaid, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Assessing Accuracy of Driver Point of Regard Estimates over Natural Head Rotations with Eye-Gesture Templates using Receiver Operating Characteristic”, Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communication Technologies (CACCT), Panipat, to be published on Nov, 2012.
- Mangera A, Marzo A, Heron N, Fernando D, Abdel-Maguid M M, Hameed K, Soliman A, Bradley M, Hosking I & Chapple C, “Development And Assessment of Two Electronic Bladder Diaries; A Pilot Study”, International Continence Society conference (ICS 2012), Oct., 2012.
- Mohd Zaid , S., N., H., Mohamed, A.M., Soliman, A.H., “Analysis of Driver Point of Regard Determinations with Eye-Gesture Templates using Receiver Operating Characteristic”, Proceeding of the International Conference on Computer Science, Engineering and Technology, Bali, Indonesia, 2012.
- Siti Mohd Zaid, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid and Abdel-Hamid Soliman, “Eye-Gesture Analysis for Driver Hazard Awareness,” Proceedings of International Conference on Image, Signal and Vision, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (WASET),Tokyo, May 29-30, 2012.
- Mohd Zaid S., N. H. Mohamed A.M., Soliman A. H., “Eye Gesture Analysis with Head Movement for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems”, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (WASET), France, Vol. 66, pp. 1082-1088, 2012.
- Siti Mohd Zaid, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid and Abdel-Hamid Soliman, “Towards Driver Eye Gesture Analysis for Driver Assistance Systems Based Upon Template Matching,” Proceedings of EnCon 2011, 4th Engineering Conference, Sarawak, Malaysia, 2011.
- Kishore B. Chandrababu, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohammad Patwary, “Resource Allocation Technique for Downlink Beamformed Cognitive Radio Networks,” in the proceeding of IEEE, International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP),China,2011.
- Jaleel Begh Mughal, Abdel-Hamid Soliman, K. Ahmed and Mohammad Patwary, “Subspace compressive GLRT detector for wireless sensor network,” in the proceeding of IEEE Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (AEECT), Jordan, 2011.
- A. A. Soliman, M. Moniri and C. C. Chibelushi, “Using Segmented Image GFA Representation for Image Retrieval”, Proceedings of the 5th PREP'05 Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 275-276, 2005.
- A. A. Soliman, M. Moniri and C. C. Chibelushi, “Application of Finite State Methods to Content-Based Image Retrieval”, Proceedings of the 4th PREP'04 Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 272-273, 2004.
- A. A. Soliman, M. Moniri and C. C. Chibelushi, “A New Approach to Image Retrieval Using Multi-Level Generalised Finite Automata”, Proceedings of IEE Visual Information Engineering Conference (VIE'03), pp. 298-301, 2003.
- A. A. Soliman, M. Moniri and C. C. Chibelushi, “Sensitivity Analysis of Generalised Finite Automata for Image Retrieval”, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Visualization, Imaging and Image Processing, Vol. 1, pp. 345-350, 2003.
- ELEC70288 Optical Fibre Communication Systems
- MECH70581 Digital Signal Processing
- ELEC70281 MSc Projects
- ELEC60235 Digital Systems
- ELEC40234 Communication Principles
- ELEC60236 Data Communication Systems (D/L)
- ELEC50302 Communications (D/L)
- ELEC40234 Communication Principles (D/L)