I’m a Children’s Nursing Lecturer and course Lead for the BSc (Hons) in Nursing Practice (Child). I have a wide range of general paediatrics within acute clinical settings. I have worked on general paediatric wards caring for children with a range of medical, surgical and orthopaedic conditions, as well as working in high dependency care before working as a Children’s Oncology specialist nurse for many years. I have an extended range of clinical skills, including venepuncture and cannulation and physical assessment.
Prior to joining Staffordshire University, I also held a post as a Clinical Educator in a busy Children’s department, where i would regularly teach a range of clinical subjects such manual handling, infection prevention and life support including the delivery of accredited courses.
My current interests are developing effective online learning strategies and providing effective student support, clinical supervision and debriefing.
Professional memberships and activities
- Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Member of Children and Young Peoples Academics, UK
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Paediatric Immediate Life Support Instructor (Resus Council)
- Practice Teacher (Level 7), Keele University
- BSc (Hons) Paediatric Cancer Care, Birmingham City University
- Mentorship in Health Care Settings (Level 6) Staffordshire University
- RN DipHE (Child), Staffordshire University
I am currently undertaking the Higher Academic Professional Apprenticeship at Staffordshire University.
- Leadership in nursing
- Children’s Cancer care
- Clinical supervision
- Interprofessional education
- Technology enhanced teaching and learning
- BSc (Hons) Nursing Practice (Child)
- Nursing Associate Apprenticeship
P. Broad, J. Walker, R. Boden and A. Barnes ‘Developing a Model of Transition Prior to Preceptorship’, British Journal of Nursing, Vol 20, No. 20, 2011.