I manage the university's specialist film, media-making and broadcasting facilities and associated technical team. I have strategic and operational responsibility for developing facilities in line with university and sector business requirements and lead on capital projects and annual revenue spending. My previous experience encompasses delivering a range of instruction in media and broadcast-centric hardware, software, and workflow solutions, accredited to industry standard. My initial background, both by way of higher education and work experience, was in journalism.
I graduated from the University of Wolverhampton with a BA in Journalism & Editorial Design (first-class honours) in 2002. In 2004, I completed my MA at Staffordshire University (merit) and went on to work briefly for the BBC at Pebble Mill in Birmingham. I returned to Staffordshire University later that year to take up a temporary technical position within the Faculty of Humanities, which was subsequently made permanent.
In 2007, I was appointed to the newly created position of Media Technician - Broadcast Journalism, where I stayed until moving into a management role in 2013.
Between 2008 and 2015, I gained a total of 46 professional vocational certifications, primarily across Apple creative software applications. Amongst these were qualifications allowing me to deliver professionally accredited training programs to students alongside their degree studies.
In 2018, I successfully migrated into the newly formed role of Technical Services Manager for Media & Communications. I also began my second undergraduate degree – a BA (Hons) in Professional Management to run alongside a Chartered Management Degree Apprenticeship. I completed the degree element of the program in early 2022, gaining first-class honours. In May 2022, I became a Chartered Manager.
Professional memberships and activities
- Chartered Management Institution
- National Council for the Training of Journalists
- Chartered Manager (CMgr MCMI)
- MA Broadcast Journalism (Staffordshire University)
- BA (Hons) Professional Management (Staffordshire University)
- BA (Hons) Journalism & Editorial Design (University of Wolverhampton)
- Apple Certified Master Trainer
- Apple Certified Master Professional
- Apple Certified Support Specialist
- Adobe Certified Expert
- NewTek Certified Operator
- Bid writing
- Project Management
- Financial Management
- Reflective Writing
- Broadcast System Integration
- Technical Pedagogy and the role of blended delivery within a technical learning environment.