Experience in Computing Science, Communication Networks & Cybersecurity with previous research collaborations, funded research projects and published conference/journal papers that reflect my findings and can be found in high-profile publications such as IEEE, Elsevier, & ZTE.
My research/teaching interests lie in the field of Internet Protocols & Architectures, Network Forensics, Cybersecurity, and Internet of Things (IoT) Security. Cybersecurity & Networks senior lecturer at Staffordshire University since September 2015.
BSc & MSc Cybersecurity subject lead at SUL since 2020. First joining as a member of Corporate Programme Unit (CPU) to teach to Ministry of Defence (MoD)/Royal Air Force (RAF) personnel in the field of ICT & Cybersecurity. Later, in the school of Computing and Digital Technologies (CDT), teaching a variety of level 4/5/6/7 modules for different CDT awards including apprenticeship & work-based learning programmes, and MoD courses.
Since 2020, mainly involved with Staffordshire University London (SUL) 's BSc (Hons) and MSc Cyber Security courses. Broad experience in delivery of education through face-to-face/distance/blended learning methods. In addition, I am supervising/examining undergraduate/postgraduate/PhD research projects & theses.
Prior experience includes PhD studentship grant from (formerly:) Centre for Communication Systems Research (CCSR), (now:) Institute for Communication Systems (ICS) & home of 5G Innovation Centre (5GIC), University of Surrey, UK. In parallel, I worked as a Research Assistant (RA) in CCSR as one of the leading research institutes across the world and a Teaching Assistant (TA) in both: Surrey’s Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering & Computing Department.
I also completed 2 years as a lead researcher on SASH-NET industrial project with Airbus Group (Astrium Space Transportation & Satellite; European Aerospace and Defence group (EADS)).
Professional memberships and activities
- IEEE Member
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education, Staffordshire University, 2016
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Electronic Engineering (Network Security), 5G Innovation Centre, University of Surrey, PhD Topic: Secure and Robust Packet Forwarding for Next Generation IP Networks, 2015
- Master’s Degree (MSc) in Internet Computing, Computing Department, University of Surrey, 2010
- Bachelor’s Degree (BSc) in Computer Software Engineering, Computer Engineering Department, Shomal University, Amol, Iran, 2007
- Computing Science
- Network Security
- Internet Protocols & Architectures
- Network Forensics
- Internet of Things (IoT) Security
Enterprise and commercial interests
I have worked extensively within the Staffordshire University’s Corporate Programmes Unit (CPU) of the school generating income and developing and delivering bespoke and professional training to employers such as:
- Armed Forces/Royal Air Forces
- Computer Networks & Security
- Networking with LANs & WANs
- Local Area, Wide Area, & Wireless Networks
- Advanced Network Routing
- Advanced Network Switching
- Advanced Network Troubleshooting
- Software Development & Application Modelling
- Networking Concepts & Cyber Security
- Digital Technologies
- Cyber Operations
- Cyber Operations
- Professional Secure Networks
- Advanced Communication Networks
- MSc Dissertations Supervision/Examination
- PhD Supervision/Examination
Some of my publications include:
- Alshamrani, H. Cruickshank, Z. Sun, B. Elmasri and V. H. Tafreshi, “SIP-based internetwork system between Future IP Networks and ZigBee based Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPAN),” 2012 4th Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (CEEC), Colchester, 2012, pp. 206-211.
- Alshamrani, H. Cruickshank, Z. Sun, B. Elmasri and V. Fami, “Evaluation of SIP Signalling and QoS for VoIP over OLSR MANET Routing Protocol,” 2013 UKSim 15th International Conference on Computer Modelling and Simulation, Cambridge, 2013, pp. 699-706.
- H. F. Tafreshi, H. Cruickshank and Z. Sun, “Byzantine Robustness for future inter-domain routing security through integrated management plane,” 2013 IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2013), Ghent, 2013, pp. 820-823.
- Alshamrani, H. Cruickshank, Z. Sun, V. Fami and B. Elmasri, “Evaluation of SIP Signalling and QoS for VoIP over MANETs Reactive Routing Protocols,” 2013 Seventh International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Apps, Services and Technologies, Prague, 2013, pp. 105-110.
- Alshamrani, H. Cruickshank, Z. Sun, V. Fami, B. Elmasri and E. Danish, “Signaling Performance for SIP over IPv6 Mobile Ad-Hoc Network (MANET),” 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Multimedia, Anaheim, CA, 2013, pp. 231-236.
- Heydari Fami Tafreshi, H. Cruickshank, Z. Sun, “Integrating IPsec within OpenFlow Architecture for Secure Group Communication,” ZTE Communications Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, 2014.
- H. F. Tafreshi, H. Cruickshank and Z. Sun, “Architecture for satellite services over cryptographically heterogeneous networks with application into smart grid,” 2014 7th Advanced Satellite Multimedia Systems Conference and the 13th Signal Processing for Space Communications Workshop (ASMS/SPSC), Livorno, 2014, pp. 411-418.
- Nisioti, M. Heydari, A. Mylonas, V. Katos and V. H. F. Tafreshi, “TRAWL: Protection against rogue sites for the masses,” 2017 11th International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science (RCIS), Brighton, 2017, pp. 120-127.
- Heydari, A. Mylonas, V. Katos, E. Balaguer-Ballester, V. H. F. Tafreshi and E. Benkhelifa, “Uncertainty-Aware Authentication Model for Fog Computing in IoT,” 2019 Fourth International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (FMEC), Rome, Italy, 2019, pp. 52-59.
- Heydari, A. Mylonas, V. H. F. Tafreshi, E. Benkhelifa, S. Singh, “Known unknowns: Indeterminacy in authentication in IoT,” Elsevier Future Generation Computer Systems Journal, Volume 111, Pages 278-287, October 2020.