I am a criminologist and policing lecturer within the Institute of Policing. I have a background in criminology and sociology.
I joined Staffordshire University in 2017 as a criminology lecturer teaching undergraduate modules including research methods, crime and deviance, transnational organised crime, global sociology, and sociological theory and practice. I have taught on postgraduate modules including gender and sexuality. I also assisted with delivering training to the MoD on the security and migration course.
I have supervised student research dissertations at both UG and PG levels, covering sociological, criminological, and policing subject areas.
My previous experiences lie within the area of working with young offenders with the Stoke-on-Trent Youth Offending Team and previously in Brinsford YOI developing programmes designed to assist rehabilitation and reintegration into society. I have also worked with Newcastle Council developing preventative programmes to deter young people from offending.
I work closely with young people in the community providing them with support and helping them to achieve their potential. My primary focus of youth work is on the personal, social, cultural, and educational development of young people.
My previous research focused on exploring the attitudes of employers towards the recruitment and employment of ex-offenders and identifying barriers when trying to achieve rehabilitation through employment.
More recently I have completed research looking into the impact of the use of technology in the learning environment to enhance the student learning experience.
I have a wealth of experience in the hospitality industry which drives my passion for researching dark tourism and fascination with the macabre.
Professional memberships and activities
- British Society of Criminology
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- MSc in Criminology University of Leicester.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher and Professional Education, Staffordshire University.
- BA (Hons) Crime, Deviance and Society and English.
- Police Culture
- Police Education
- Youth Crime and Justice
- Media representations of Crime and Criminal Justice
- Dark Tourism
- Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA)
- Crime and Society – Module Leader
- Evidence-Based Policing Research Project – Module Leader
- Degree Holder Entry Programme (DHEP)
- Detective Degree Holder Entry Programme (DHEP)