I qualified as a Paramedic in 2012 and worked full time in road operations before moving to full time lecturing at a Higher Education Institution (HEI) in 2015. Along with lecturing duties, I was also required to work on the response vehicle with students as part of their course.
In 2017, after two years of part-time study towards my Degree I qualified as an Emergency Care Practitioner. In December 2018 I had the chance to start working part time with our Helicopter Emergency Medical Services (HEMS) as one of their senior practitioners responding to both primary cases and inter facility transfers. Over the 3 years I have over gained over 150 flying hours on HEMS.
Professional memberships and activities
- Registered with the HCPC
- Registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA)
- Member of the College of Paramedics
- Postgraduate Certificate - Higher and Professional Education, Staffordshire University
- Assessment of Patients with Minor Injuries Module, Staffordshire University
- Degree of Bachelor of Technology in Emergency Medical Care, Durban University of Technology, South Africa
- National Diploma in Emergency Medical Care and Rescue (EMC-R), Durban University of Technology, South Africa
- Assessment, diagnosis and management of medical and trauma patients at level 5
- Assessment and management of minor injuries at level 6