Shaun is a Senior Lecturer in Computer Games Programming. He is the Course Leader for BSc (Hons) Computer Games Development, and leads the FoRGE programme, engaging FE with HE. His PhD (in progress) research focuses on artificial intelligence (AI) and procedural content generation (PCG).
I am the course leader for BSc (Hons) Computer Games Development, leader of several modules in games, and deliver at all levels across my course and BSc (Hons) Computer Games Programming. I developed a huge interest in computer games and technology from the late 80s through to today from the Nintendo NES, Sega Mega Drive, Super Nintendo (SNES) and PlayStation 1, right up to latest iterations of the Xbox and PlayStation today. Not just playing games but developing games. And not just game, websites, mobile apps and software too.
I have been teaching since 2008 in both FE and HE delivering modules related to games development, computer science, web development, software engineering. Along the way I have conducted research in Cloud Computing, UI and UX, Academic Productivity, Serious Gaming, Artificial Intelligence and Professional Social Media Skills. Research has connected me with fantastically innovative people at Google and excitingly inspiring people from a range of games studios such as Playground Games, Ubisoft, Rebellion and Sumo Digital to name a few.
Prior to working in academia, I was heavily involved in a variety of interactive media studios and projects since 2000. However, I now focus is on my PhD and contributing to the next stages of the industry and academic developments.
Professional memberships and activities
- PhD Believable Artificial Intelligence (Part-Time and in progress) – Staffordshire University
- Masters of Research (MRes) Cloud Computing – Staffordshire University
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) – Staffordshire University
- BSc Multimedia Technology – Birmingham City University
- Unreal Engine
- Games Development
- Procedural Content Generation
- Artificial Intelligence
- Mobile Games Development
- Artificial intelligence for games
- Procedural content generation
- Sport simulation gaming
- Learning technology
Enterprise and commercial interests
I work closely with industry to identify guest speakers, placement opportunities, graduate opportunities, and live project development in collaboration with other colleagues.
- GAME40426 Professional Development and Games Industry Employability (Module Leader)
- COSE40638 Games Engine Creation
- COSE50631 Technical Games Production
- COSE50662 Games Development
- COSE60595 Mobile Games Development (Module Leader)
- COSE60591 Group Game Development and Work-base Simulation (Module Leader)