Staffordshire University’s award-winning Institute of Policing (IoP) is a UK-based centre of excellence in policing education and research which sits within Staffordshire University's School of Justice, Security and Sustainability.
We strive to make a significant contribution to police professional practice and research in the areas of police education and training, leadership, investigation and innovation.
- We are a leading provider of police education within the UK.
- We house Europe’s largest concentration of expertise in a single university.
- We specialise in large scale provision and delivery of police education
- We have extensive experience and direct access to our own subject matter experts
- Many of our staff have worked in the policing profession, at every level.
- Our approach combines high levels of practical training with research-informed academic theory
- We provide in country delivery, but also innovative use is made of online provision.
The Institute supports a range of undergraduate and postgraduate activities, offering a portfolio of police related programmes which are developing distinction for their applied and research-informed focus.
The Institute is regarded as a pathfinder within the United Kingdom for delivery of the Police Education Qualifications Framework (PEQF).
The advancement and development of policing draws upon a multitude of academic fields and we believe that police professionalisation is a global consideration which is closely connected human rights. The Institute supports the wider policing agenda and our activities are underpinned by an absolute dedication to human rights. We view policing as a public leadership activity and the Institute is committed to developing both current and future police leaders and championing thought leadership throughout every level of the service.
The Institute team perform consultancy roles for external agencies on matters of security, counter terrorism and disaster planning.
- We received a 'good' rating from Ofsted in 2022
- We won 'Partnership of the Year' at the National Police Chiefs' Council's Learning and Development Awards 2022