Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-iconAtoms/Iconography/icon-tiktok-colour Skip to content Skip to search

Request for international authorised leave form

If you are intending to take authorised leave it is important that you obtain permission from the University in order to ensure that any reporting to the UK Visas and Immigration is accurate.

One of the conditions of your visa is that you are engaged in full-time study whilst you are in the UK.  Any periods of absence from the University must be authorised. Anyone requiring International Authorised Leave needs to fully complete the form below including dates and reasons for the request. Please note that completing this form does not mean your Leave has been approved.

Once the form has been submitted, a member of the International Student Support team will contact either your Award Leader or your PhD Supervisor who will assess the request and make a decision whether to approve or reject your request. If the request is rejected, the International Student Support team will contact you to offer further advice and guidance relating to this issue. If your request is approved, you will receive an email confirming this and asking you to proceed to book your flights. These flights must correspond with the dates you have stated on your IAL form.

Once your flights are booked, you must email the copy of the flight tickets to On receipt of the flight tickets, the International Student Support team will authorise your leave and email you with a certificate confirming the approval of the leave.  You must carry this with you when you travel.  Only when you have received the certificate is your leave approved and authorised.  If you fail to submit your flight tickets, your leave will not be authorised and you risk withdrawal from the University if you travel.

Important information:

  • International Authorised Leave must be no longer than 10 working days – this is non-negotiable. If you wish to request leave for a longer period – please speak to the International Student Support team.
  • Upon return to the UK, you must report to the International Student Support team in order for them to take a scanned copy of your passport and new entry clearance stamp.  This must be done within 5 working days of your return.
  • Tutors will NOT authorise any leave if they feel that you have not been attending or engaging with your studies to a satisfactory level.
  • Tutors will also not authorise your leave if they feel the leave period will significantly impact on your academic progress based on their academic judgement. A tutor’s academic judgement cannot be contested and is final.
  • You MUST complete an International Authorised Leave form before leaving the country for any reason.  Failure to seek approval before leaving the UK would be deemed to be a breach of the University Student visa regulations and could result in your withdrawal from your course.  Any student withdrawn from their course would subsequently be reported to the UKVI and the University sponsorship of their Student visa would cease.

Should you have further questions regarding this procedure, please contact us by emailing

  • Name
  • Are you a PhD student?
  • If yes, is any of this 'annual leave'?