Atoms/Iconography/360-white@2xion-briefcase - Ionicons Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark@2xAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-pinkAtoms/Iconography/calendar-dark Copy@2x3B13F687-6EB2-452A-B918-16B02FF86090@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2x81A2B1C2-3C1E-48C0-8EAB-2BB76C1052E1@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome@2xchevron-right - FontAwesome Copy@2x18D48E51-758C-47E9-949E-1E58FC9454A3@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-red@2xAtoms/Iconography/close-white@2xion-android-cloud-circle - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Brand/connected-uni-logo-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-download-icon-white@2xdropdown-chevron-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/dropdown-form-chevron-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/email-icon-light@1xF93E1E4C-136C-41CA-8FC9-02353765C1C0@2xA14CB21F-CD96-450C-BBD7-6647B25B0D0D@1xatoms/Iconography/facebook-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/facebook-iconAtoms/Iconography/google-plus-icon@2xion-ios-information-outline - IoniconsAtoms/Iconography/instagram-iconGroup@2xAtoms/Iconography/linkedin-icon@2xion-android-menu - Ionicons@2x934F565B-4D4A-4BBE-B4EA-29E0D367BC7F@2xAtoms/Iconography/minus-icon@2xAEC8A5E2-9638-45F8-9E94-3C320D2410A9@2xAtoms/Iconography/nav-icon-white Copy@2xAtoms/Iconography/pause-icon-white@2xion-android-person - Ionicons@2xAtoms/Iconography/phone-icon-white@2x5131105A-B2E1-443D-A44D-E6DCCBBF53DD@2xAtoms/iconography/pintrest-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/play-button-white@2xAtoms/Iconography-play-button-white-2@2xAtoms/Iconography/plus-icon-black@2xAtoms/Iconography/print-icon-light@2x34CD08DE-22EB-4484-B0B4-48190645DEBC@2xsearch - FontAwesome@2xAtoms/Iconography/search-white@2xAtoms/Iconography/snapchat-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/tick-green@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/twitter-iconAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2xAtoms/Iconography/youtube-icon@2x Skip to content Skip to search

English language requirements

Have you found an interesting course at Staffordshire University? As part of the application process for international students, you’ll usually need to demonstrate your English language proficiency through a test recognised by Staffordshire University.

Most of our courses require a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each component or an equivalent approved qualification. However, some courses have higher entry criteria due to accreditation requirements or the need to have exceptional communication skills as part of the course.

Accepted tests and qualifications 

The majority of our undergraduate bachelor degree courses require a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.0, with 5.5 in reading, writing, speaking and listening. However, we also accept a wide range of qualifications from around the world. The following qualifications are acceptable for most of our Bachelor degree courses.

Requirements for postgraduate courses can be found in the entry requirements section of the course page.

Qualifications we accept from any country
Qualification nameMinimum requirementValidity
IELTS (non UKVI) 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component 2 years
Password English 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component 2 years
Trinity College London ISE II Pass in all four components 2 years 
TOEFL IBT Listening: 17
Speaking: 20
Reading: 18
Writing: 17
2 years
PTE (Pearsons) Minimum score of 51 in all four categories 2 years
International Baccalaureate (taught in English) Pass in English B at SL grade 5 or HL grade 4 5 years
City & Guilds ESOL International (IESOL) Pass 5 years
IGCSE English IGCSE English as a first or second language: Grade C 5 years
Cambridge International English GCE O Level/GCSE English Language grade A - C 5 years 
IELTS Indicator 6.0 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in each component 2 years
Duolingo Overall score of 95 2 years

If you have not met one of the above requirements you may be eligible to join one of our pre-sessional English courses, to help you build your skills to the required level. For more information, please see our pre-sessional English langauge courses.

Qualifications we accept from your country

We also accept a range of country-specific English language qualifications. Search below to find the specific English language requirements for your country:

Choose your country

Check our entry and English language requirements for your country


You don’t need to provide evidence of English language proficiency if any of the following conditions apply:

  • If you’re a national of a Majority English Speaking Country as specified by the general student visa (Tier 4) guidance by

  • If you're a UK national.

  • If you’ve completed a full degree from a UK university.

  • If you’re currently holding a Tier 4 Child visa and want to switch immediately on to a Tier 4 General visa.