Currently employed as Lecturer in Physical Education and Sport Coaching, I am Course Leader for the undergraduate honours degrees in Football Performance. It is my responsibility to oversee the development, delivery, resources, and management of these programmes, driving the academic and industry standards of this and other provision within the Sport and Exercise Department. As a lecturer with experience across a range of sub-disciplines, my predominant teaching focus is related to academic and research skills, professional practice, teaching and learning pedagogy, sport in society.
I graduated from the University of Chester in 2011 with an BA (Hons) Sport and Exercise Sciences followed in 2012 by an MSc Sociology of Sport and Exercise. In 2015 I completed my PGCE with Staffordshire University and subsequently graduated with an MA Education in 2017. With regards employment, prior to my role at Staffordshire University, I was Course Leader for the suite of undergraduate sport and exercise courses at Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group – a principal partner tied with the University here. I have also held several positions as a sport coach specialising in primary and secondary education settings.
As a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) I continually engage in continued professional development to ensure excellence in my teaching and learning pedagogy as well as assuring an outstanding student experience. For example, I am employed as an External Examiner at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David where I am responsible for the quality assurance of Physical Education courses. I am also a serving practitioner Ofsted Inspector specialising in Further Education and Skills. These roles assist in securing best practice from colleagues across the sector as well as remaining contemporary in my knowledge and understanding of education settings broadly, in which so many of our students at Staffordshire seek careers.
I am a doctoral candidate at Staffordshire University, completing a Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD). My main research interests for my EdD are related to the decision-making and transitional experiences of students who move from Further Education into Higher Education. My expected year of completion is 2023.
Professional memberships and activities
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the Football Association Coaches Association (FACA)
- FA Licensed Coach
- Professional Doctorate in Education (EdD): Student Transitions into Higher Education – 2019-Present – Staffordshire University.
- MA Education – 2017 – Staffordshire University.
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in Lifelong Learning – 2015 – Staffordshire University.
- MSc Sport & Exercise Sociology – 2012 – University of Chester.
- BA (Hons) Sport & Exercise Sciences – 2011 – University of Chester.
- Teaching and Learning
- Physical Education
- Sport and Society
- Sport Coaching
- Football Coaching
- Student Experience
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Physical Education
- Student Transitions
- Sport Coaching
- Football (various)
Enterprise and commercial interests
I have delivered a series of continued professional development sessions to colleagues across the FE and HE sector and continue to do so, particularly related to my role as an Ofsted Inspector.
I work closely with local, regional and national organisations as part of my role at Staffordshire University, maintaininy close working relationships and partnerships with Stoke City F.C., Stoke City F.C. Women, Port Vale F.C., Port Vale Foundation Trust, Stoke RTC (Boys) of the JPL, Stoke City F.C. RTC (Girls), Burton Albion F.C. and Staffordshire Football Association. I also have close associations with staff at various governing organisations.
- Level 4 – Coaching and Teaching in Sport
- Level 4 – Academic and Employability Skills
- Level 4 – Developing Research Skills
- Level 5 – Placement in Sport & Exercise
- Level 5 – Coaching, Analysis & Skill Acquisition
- Level 6 – Personal and Professional Development in Sport & Exercise (Dissertation)
- Level 6 – Children in Sport and Physical Education
- Level 7 – Effective Coaching