After a brief teaching career I worked in the computing industry for twelve years. For much of this time, I managed technical service departments and held responsibility for service development and the establishment of metrics associated with service delivery and use.
I have been lecturing in the field of Information Systems at Staffordshire University since 1999. Additionally, I am heavily involved in the specification and management of work-based and distance learning awards with particular interests in Foundation Degrees and apprenticeships. The quality assurance of delivery at partnerships is also a key aspect of my role.
- BSc(Hons) Geology, University Of Nottingham
- PGCE (Teaching Qualification), University Of London
- MSc Computer Science, University Of Birmingham
- PGC Research Methods, Staffordshire University
- Information Systems Design
- Design and development of work-based learning awards and modules
- The supervision of work-based projects
- Professional skills development
I am working towards a PhD in the area of Service Innovation and Management. I also have an interest in non-traditional learning, particularly work-based learning.
- Uden, L., Francis, J.(2008) Actor-network theory for Service Innovation, International Journal of Actor Network Theory and Technological Innovation Vol. 1, Issue 1 Pages: 23-44.
- Uden, L., Francis, J., Dai, W (2008) Service Quality for Service Innovation, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics, October 12-15, 2008, Beijing, China, Volume 2 Page(s): 2779-2784
Enterprise and commercial interests
I am involved in the specification and management of work-based learning awards and currently work with a number of Health Informatics Services, Britvic PLC and BT PLC.
I am currently involved in teaching the following modules
Face to face
CESCOM10064-3 INTRODUCTION TO PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC SKILLS
CESCOM10066-3 INTRODUCTION TO WEB AND DATABASE TECHNOLOGIES
CESCOM10092-4 PROFESSIONAL BUSINESS SKILLS
CESCOM10093-4 SKILLS FOR COMPUTING PROFESSIONALS
CE00315-5 PROFESSIONAL AND ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT
CE00831-6 KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT IN ORGANISATIONS
Work Based/Distance Learning
CEW10024-5 STUDY SKILLS AND RESEARCH METHODS FOR WORK-BASED LEARNING
CESCOMD10160-6 ICT FOR SERVICE INNOVATION AND MANAGEMENT (DISTANCE LEARNING)
CESCOM10162-6 ICT PROJECT MANAGEMENT
CESCOMD10230-6 CAREER PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT OF ICT SYSTEMS (D/L)
CESCOMD10161-6 ICT HONOURS PROJECT (DISTANCE LEARNING)
I supervise a number of work-based projects and I also manage the following modules which run as part of HND/FDSc awards at our partner colleges.
CESCOM10088-4 PROFESSIONAL AND ACADMIC SKILLS FOR APPLIED IT I
CESCOM10089-4 PROFESSIONAL AND ACADMIC SKILLS FOR APPLIED IT II
CESCOM10097-4 WEB AND DATABASE TECHNOLOGIES
CESCOMW10237-5 INFORMATION SYSTEMS IN ORGANISATIONS (WORK BASED LEARNING)
CESCOM10118-5 GOOD PRACTICE PORTFOLIO
CESCOM10112-5 FDSC PROJECT FOR COMPUTING AND ICT