The types of cookies we use
We use four categories of cookies: strictly necessary cookies, performance cookies, functionality cookies and advertising/targeting cookies.
Strictly necessary cookies
Some cookies we place on your browser ensure that the University website delivers you information and services securely and optimally. You can set your browser to block these cookies, but some parts of our site will then not work. These include, for example, cookies which enable you to log into secure areas of our website.
These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our site works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily. The data collected by the cookies is aggregated across all visitors so is anonymous.
Our performance cookies include:
- Google Analytics. We use Google Analytics to understand how our website is performing, to deliver relevant content and to make improvements to the site.
- Siteimprove. We use Siteimprove alongside Google Analytics to understand how our visitors use the site and to improve the user experience on the website.
- Hotjar. We use Hotjar in order to better understand our users’ needs and to optimise this service and experience. Hotjar is a technology service that helps us better understand our users’ experience (e.g. how much time they spend on which pages, which links they choose to click, what users do and don’t like, etc.) and this enables us to build and maintain our service with user feedback.
We use these to improve our site’s functionality and personalisation for our users. They may be set by us, or by third party providers whose services we use on our site.
Our functional cookies include:
- YouTube. We use YouTube to show you videos on our site.
- Live Assist. We use Microsoft Live Assist to provide a live chat facility on our website.
- Issuu. We use Issuu to embed PDF documents on various parts of our website.
- Unibuddy. We use Unibuddy to connect prospective students with current students so they can ask them questions about what the University is like.
We use these cookies to tailor online advertising to your interests – both on our site and other sites you visit. If you disable them, you’ll still see adverts, they just won’t be tailored to you. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed.
Our advertising cookies include:
- Facebook. These cookies track user behaviour on our website, such as the pages visited and where a user left the website. This technology enables us to serve you personalised adverts whilst you're on Facebook.
- Google. We use Google Advertising Features to target advertising to users of our website.
- Bing. These cookies are used to serve our online advertising. The Bing cookie enables us to measure and manage our media activity to optimise our website performance.