I am a Lecturer in Biological Sciences department with an educational background in Biochemistry and Pharmaceutical sciences.
My educational qualifications started with a degree (BSc Hons) in Biochemistry at Bowen University, Nigeria in 2010, where I graduated as the Best Graduating student in the department. Afterwards I completed a National Youth Service Corps Scheme in 2011, where I taught Biology to young secondary school students for a year. I then obtained a Masters degree (MSc) in Pharmaceutical Sciences at the University of Greenwich, UK in 2013. Following, this award, I went on to do a PhD in Biosciences at Nottingham Trent University in 2019, exploring the Expression and Role of multi-functional enzyme, Transglutaminase-2 and its isoforms in contributing to the prostate cancer phenotype (progression). I have also worked over the last 6 years as a Demonstrator and Senior Bioscience Technical Specialist and an hourly paid lecturer in busy bioscience teaching and research laboratories.
Professional memberships and activities
- Member Royal Society of Biology
- Member Biochemical Society
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Current research interest is in cancer related signaling resulting in the progression of colorectal and prostate cancer metastatic phenotype.
- Chronic multifactorial disease (Module Leader)
- Principles of molecular biology (Teaching team)
- Molecular Genetics and Genetics Engineering (Teaching team)
- Applied Scientific Practice (Advanced Skills) (Teaching team)
- Practical Skills for Life Scientists (Teaching team)
- Life Science Research Projects (Supervisory role)
- Adeola G Atobatele, Giulia Furini, Izhar Burhan, Stephanie McArdle, Graham Ball and Elisabetta AM Verderio. Role of Tissue transglutaminase alternative transcripts in prostate cancer progression. Manuscript in preparation.
- Elisabetta A.M. Verderio, Alessandra Scarpellini, Giulia Furini, Adeola G Atobatele, Linghong Huang, David Boocock, F Peysselon, Sylvie Ricard-Blum, Timothy S Johnson. The interactome of TG2 in kidney membranes. Manuscript in preparation .
- Giulia Furini, Izhar Burhan, Linghong Huang, Maria Pia Savoca, Adeola G Atobatele, Timothy Johnson, Elisabetta A.M Verderio. Insights on the heparan sulphate-dependent externalisation of transglutaminase-2 (TG2) in glucose-stimulated proximal-like tubular epithelial cells. Analytical Biochemistry (2020), 113628. doi: 10.1016/j.ab.2020.113628
- Maria Pia Savoca, Elisa Tonoli, Adeola G. Atobatele and Elisabetta A. M. Verderio Biocatalysis by Transglutaminases: A Review of Biotechnological Applications. Micromachines (2018), 9(11), 562.
- Izhar Burhan, Giulia Furini, Hugues Lortat-Jacob, Adeola G Atobatele, Alessandra Scarpellini, Nina Schroeder, Faith H Nutter, John Atkinson, Mabrouka Maamra, Philip Watson, Manlio Vinciguerra, Timothy S Johnson, and Elisabetta AM Verderio. Interplay between transglutaminases and heparan sulphate in progressive renal scarring. Scientific Reports (2016) 6:31343.
- Adeola Grace Atobatele, Giulia Furini, Izhar Burhan, Stephanie McArdle, Graham Ball and Elisabetta AM Verderio. 4th International Conference on Polyamines: Biochemical, Physiological and Clinical Perspectives” 2016. The role of alternative Transglutaminase-2 in prostate cancer.